McNair Expects $10 Mil for 2006 Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jan 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: According to his agent Bus Cook, Steve McNair expects to be paid his scheduled $9 million dollars for next season. Titans GM Floyd Reese said the Titans hope to negotiate something more salary cap friendly, but are willing to handle that salary and the approximately $14.5 million cap charge that will come with the final year of McNair's contract. McNair was slated to receive $9 million in base salary this year along with a $1 million bonus which buys out a $50 million option. "He's going to make $10 million this year either way unless they cut him," said Cook. "Then it would be up to someone else to decide. ... If they're going to keep him, I think we've got to get a new deal done."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

on cutting:

How could they?
    Would they?
    What would happen if they did?

[​IMG]

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

1. Sure
    2. Doubtful
    3. Save about $13.5 mil

4. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I'm guessing McNair wants his retirement pay in 2006. If the Titans give him 10 mil, they are crazier than I ever expected them to be. 10 Mil for 1 year, I liked to had a stroke! I'm not to cap-smart, but you give a player what he's worth, not what he SHOULD BE worth. Do they think McNair was worth 10 mil last year?
    ________
    MASTURBATION VID

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

If Vince Young is drafted, I think McNair is worth the money. The reason being we are not good anyway, so what is the difference.The 10-15 million now makes little difference to the team outlook. Cutting him puts Volek at the helm. And while he has had moments, his w-l record does not indicate he can put this team on his shoulder. 10-15 million in additional players would probably not be enough to get us over any hump with Volek at the helm. And even if we did get better, now is the best time to be really bad so we can add some talent before Young starts to take over. We are going to be bad whether we pay McNair or not. So it makes no real difference in my opinion. give him the money.

It would seem to me the advantages are limited if we pay him, but by cutting him we don't really gain much either. So I'd rather.

1. Have a mentor for Young
    2. Show some loyalty
    3. Get my cap relief in 2 years when Young takes over.

Show McNair the money.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Surely this is just a publicity statement, I can't imagine paying him that for next year.

7. FightinTitan

FightinTitan Guest

Pure posturing by the agent on the part of his cient in contracct negotiations.

If Bus Cook doesn't budge, we will begin the short "Billy Volek" era in Titans football history.

8. I can´t imagine Titans with another QB, I think he is worth that aomunt, he is the heart & soul of the Titans, one of our leaders, I was in pain when I saw Mason in another uniform, I don´t want to see our best player in that spot, We need a leader like him, to mentor our new QB and Volek will not win a Super Bowl for us.

Show Steve the money!!

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Steve is a great player and leader, but one thing a leader would do is recognize that we have a chance to pick up some big name free agents if he helps us out by "only" taking 4 or 5 mil. If this is Steve's stance and not just that of his agent, then it seems he has forced our hand. Time to give him a final offer.

10. adamwinn51

adamwinn51 Starter

I say no way we pay him 10 mill. He won't get anywhere near that from another team. 6 mill would be more than fair. If we cut him the cap savings could be put to good use and help build a solid team for what ever quarterback we might draft. I have no problems cutting McNair. I pull for the Titans, not any particular player.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar