McNair asked to leave TN facility???

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by V-MAN, Apr 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

The idealist in me had really hoped I would be sitting in the Coliseum watching them retire McNair's number and thanking him for all his service to the Oilers/Titans.

The thought of him playing for another team makes me ill. Call it business or whatever...but there is just something wrong with this. I doubt you would see them doing this to Favre in GB.

2. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, GB is letting Favre walk all over them at the moment. They should change from Packers to Doormats.

3. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Unlike the Titans, which still have their nuts intact. Favre is over the hill, he may be an icon, but as a player his time is up. Steve is getting to that point, he may still have a couple of good years left, but there are way too many question marks about his health and his game.

Both sides are playing high stakes, but the Titans has shown more than one time that they aren't bluffing. Either McNair signs a new contract or he's gone.

4. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Did they toss him out like a drunk from a bar? Did they handcuff him and do a full "perp-walk"? If not, why are some of you so outraged? $9M is a lot of money.

5. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

Regardless of whether the team adequately informed Mac or whether Bus Cook is blowing this out of proportion, its not a good situation. Its very very bad. Once situations like this happen, feelings get hurt, and its almost impossible to go back. If this doesnt get smoothed over today, I'd say the writing's on the wall and Mac will not be a Titan in 2006.

And for all those who think Bus Cook is just a greedy agent who's just looking to get his 3% of another signing bonus, here's a thought... Bus Cook works for Steve. If Steve didnt want him saying things, it would be very easy for him to make a phone call and say "put a lid on it" like Billy did to Rosenhaus last year. Bus has been making comments about Steve playing elsewhere all spring, and Mac has let him. Like SK said, Steve will most likely not be our QB when we are ready to make another Super Bowl run (2007 at the most optimistic, and more likely 2008). If Steve wants another shot at a ring before he hangs it up, his best bet is probably to do it with someone else.

6. Banshee2

Banshee2 Guest

I also think whatever the issue with the "why's" of him working out or not, this is going to be a little sticky. Note how Fisher chose the word "hopefully" when talking about a contract resolution? That's a very different word from the "confident" he used just last week...

7. royhobbs

royhobbs Guest

They way we've handled this whole offseason with respect to McNair is just stupid. If we'd kept this all secret, we might actually be able to trade him for something. Now we'll get zip! This was handled much more poorly than the Warren Moon debacle. At least we got a 3rd for him. But that was before Reese, when we had a little bit of class. For those who want to claim that the Titans wanted to keep it hush, hush and Cook is the one to blame...I ask this, do you really think Reese is going to draft his client, Cutler, after all this? He is officially on Reese's sh** list along with Rosenhaus and EG's agent. I think dumping McNair buys Reese another year of 4-12, 5-11, but not Fisher. I feel sorry for him. He's gonna be the scapegoat for another sh**y year....and Chow will get dumped too, the whole staff will. Keep that in mind all you Leinart folks...why draft a "system guy" for a system he may never see with us? A guy who is afraid to run the 40! Don't punters and kickers run the 40? (Sorry, I'll save that for another thread) And can someone remaind me why in the hell did we bother to pay a king's ransom for those four free agents?

And as far as "Volek and Mauck can carry the load"....give me a break, a load of crap maybe. Volek was worse than Steve last year when he did play....the show he put on two years ago was with Heimerdinger, not Chow. He struggled last year. As for Mauch....one word..."Jacksonville"....enough said. Well, boys and girls are you ready for last place? We are going to be right back in the top 5 next year....can you say Adrian Petersen? That's about the only thing we've got to look forward to the next twelve months....watching Reese f-up two more drafts and continue to keep his job. Simply amazing!

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

McMVP is awsome and I would love to nail him down long term, 5-6 years AT SECOND STRINGER MONEY with bonuses not likely to be earned based on games/snaps.

At this point McMVP does not deserve elite starter money as those days are gone. He and his agent believe McMVP deserves the 9m his contract calls for in 2007 and I agree completly.

My problem is how to reconcile the two issues. Is there a way to structure an NFL contract where the base drops from 9m to 1m over 5-6years??? I ain't saying it can't be done but I am saying it won't be done.

Best case I can think of now is that McNair drops his base down to 5m or so for 2007 then signs a contract fitting a veteran NFL BU QB so he can rightfully retire as a Titan in 2012 or something.

On the other hand I think a trade just became very likley

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Of course Steve was told not to work out at BSP until a new agreement is reached.

Do you really think that the FO went to all the trainers and said; "If Steve shows up, tell him he's not welcome here. We're not going to tell him, just you trainers, so don't let it leak out until he shows up. We want Bus to run to the media and paint us a heartless, thankless organazation".

Conspriacy theorists having a field day.

10. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I would hope that both Reese and Cook are profesional enough to not let the McNair issue have any impact on the possible Cutler issue. However if Bus was also the agent for Mason and Rolle back when, then I guess my hopes are in vain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar