McDaniels staying put in NE

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanfanatic, Feb 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotoriousZEUS

NotoriousZEUS Rookie

Seems like the only dramatic person here is you. Shunned 7 years last time for less, and had the ability to ride the coattail of Brady and Belicheck for most of it and still wasn't given offers until now. That time of getting to run a dynastic franchise's offense is running out, and if you think there isn't a real possibility the NFL excommunicates guys and they will this guy, then....

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Not if the HC is announced prior to the current HC leaving.

Basically promoting from within does not apply to the Rooney rule.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

This correct. If you have an ascension plan announced, then the Rooney Rule does not apply. Countless radio boobs got that wrong today.

4. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

That was Chris Ballard who said that at the end of his press conference today. Although Irsay might have said it again, who knows what THAT loon might do or say next?

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
  5. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

This won't be forgotten about.
    Its one thing to fail (Broncos stint)

Its another thing to lie to a team about taking a job after you've already hired some assistants.

He's no head coach. He's a weasel.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

my understanding is that there are particular ways that rule doesn't apply. Sort of the Gruden situation with oakland.

• Unreadable Unreadable x 1
  7. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

Dude he agreed terms and had done everything but sign the contract. They contracted others because of his agreement, presumably under his instructions and with his involvement.

Few other major differences to your example.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

And then he got an offer he liked better from his current employer.

Maybe I'm selfish, but I've always considered myself a one-man corporation and I think everyone else would be better off if they did that. If you work for someone who isn't giving you what you think you genuinely deserve you should do everything in your power to leverage your way into it. If that involves getting an offer from someone else and going back to see if the current employer will match or exceed it, then that's what you should do. Josh McDaniels needs to do what he thinks is best for Josh McDaniels and the people close to him.

And frankly, it doesn't even sound like that's what happened. It seems like he fully intended to take the job in Indy and then was blown away by what the Patriots offered.

Would I be saying this if he did it to the Titans? Probably not, because it would be more personal and I wouldn't be able to remove that aspect of it, but the circumstances wouldn't change.

9. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

I duno, I think there are few differences here.

Going for an interview, getting an offer, using it against your current employer (where you may or may not actually want to stay) is over-simplifying it a bit in this case I feel.

He agreed terms, told them he was coming. Presumably was part of putting a team together (Colts trust him to make his own hires), they contracted those guys, got them in the building even and began paying them.

Its extremely vindictive by the Patriots to wait until the day the Colts announce it, bring him in for a round table and sway him. But they (And McDaniels) will sit behind the "We were focusing on the superbowl" defense.

He accepted the role. He didn't say "I am focusing on the superbowl". He put a staff, or part of a staff, together. People uprooted their families based on his decision to accept the HC position. Thats more than just using demand for your services to get a payrise from your current employer.

Massive di.ck move.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  10. Chronos

Chronos Pro Bowler

People are forgetting, he didn’t just fail. He was fired from Denver for filming the opposing team’s practices in a London game. Pat Bowlen was furious. Wonder where McDaniels got the idea...

• High Five High Five x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar