Mawae Feels Criticism of Young Unfounded

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Kevin Mawae hears and reads the criticism of Vince Young after going 7-for-19 in his first two preseason games and feels it's unjustified. "Everybody gets caught up in the passing accuracy and completion percentage and stuff like that, but the one stat that matters the most in this locker room is winning," Mawae said. "Vince has proven himself to be a winner. All the stuff that happens in the preseason will be forgotten about in about two weeks." At the end of last season, Mawae openly spoke of how Young needed to become a student of the game and feels he is now working hard to do that. "Fans and people are putting a whole lot of stock into a whole lot of nothing right now. He is a better leader in the huddle and on the field than he has been in the past … and he is becoming a better quarterback each and every week," Mawae said.

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

It doesn't matter if the team goes undefeated; if you're the glaring weakest link, you're going to be criticized. Being labeled a "winner" while not doing your part to win makes no sense to me.

3. BudAdams

BudAdams SayHelloToMyLittleFriends

In Mawae I trust

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There are some in this forum who blame Young 100% for the passing game and believe he'll never amount to anything. To me, that's just wrong. I also don't care for sugar-coating the issue. Young has to get better. But despite what many say, Young IS improving. Go back to his rookie year and watch a game where he's staring down his receiver and unable to do more than make one or two reads before running.

I heard Kuharsky today make a good point. McNair's stats in '99 were very average (56.5 completion %, 2,179 yards, 78.6 passer rating) but he kept the turnovers down (8 INT, 1 fumble lost) and that was enough to get the Titans in the Super Bowl.

This team will be based on defense and the running game. They don't need Young to take the team on his back and pass for 350 yards a game. They need him to make some good decisions with the football and do enough to keep defenses from totally playing run. I think he will do that and much more in time.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. ShoTym

ShoTym Rookie of the Year

Gloat, now I understand why you hate VY. You're a wolverine. I'm sorry, but get over that tail whipping he administered to you guys in the Rose Bowl. That was years ago.

6. mcmojo

mcmojo Starter

Good thoughts Jeff. They don't need Young to win every game for them. Their running game and defense should be good enough to win many games this year. They need Young to not lose games for them and to occasionally pull out a New York Giants miracle. If he can be like the '99 McNair, then this team can do some damage this year. If he is more like last year, then this team is still a playoff contender, unless their defense takes some serious steps back.

7. asus64

asus64 Camp Fodder

I think most of us love Vince because he does give us a better opportunity to win and besides he's a good kid, but being the quarterback most of the responsibility of pass completions falls on him.

1. Sidearm throwing motion. The problem with this is that short passes hit the ground and long ones come out a straight line giving the defender a better chance to get to the ball because the lack of loop on the pass.

2. It takes too long to take the arm back and then throw the ball, becoming easy to read and react by the defenders.

3. It takes him too long to decide so by the time he does, the window is already closed.

4. He does not step into the throw so the ball sails leaving receivers out to dry in the middle of the field.

All of these things are correctable, and I´m sure he's working on them. The problem with trying to change your mechanics is that things get worse before they get better. Let's be patient.:yell2:

8. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I don't dislike Young. I think he sucks, but I don't dislike the guy personally. And a loss 3 years ago definitely has nothing to do with it. Especially when it was 1 point and in a meaningless Rose Bowl game.

And VY didn't beat Michigan anyway. Some kicker did.

9. nate42104

nate42104 Camp Fodder

Interesting needs for a 3rd overall pick in an NFL draft - to just be someone who admittedly isn't good, and his only intent is to not make mistakes. If our QB was a 5th round choice rather than a first QB taken, I believe he wouldn't be as harshly criticized.

It's hard not to expect anything other than "not making mistakes" from such a talented person

10. moose4now

moose4now Starter

Ding!! Ding!! Ding!!

We have a winner!! :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar