Mawae discusses potential for expanded schedule

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Apr 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p><a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=602" target="_new">Kevin Mawae</a> appeared on "The Sirius Blitz" on Sirius NFL Radio Wednesday, discussing the prospect of an expanded regular season.</p> <p>Here's that piece of the conversation:</p> <blockquote> <p><strong>Host Adam Schein:</strong> "What's your reaction to the 18-game schedule? And in talking to fellow players and player reps, what do you get the feeling is the overriding reaction to the potential of an 18-game slate?"</p> <p><strong>Kevin Mawae:</strong> "Well, obviously the first thing that comes to mind is what's in it for us? If we're going to give you two more games, two more games of wear and tear on our bodies, two more games of potential career-ending injuries, two more games of concussions, blown-out knees, elbows, whatever you want to call it, then what's the price you're willing to pay for us to give that to you? Anytime you add a game onto the regular season, it comes down to a collective bargaining issue as part of the CBA, and there's a give and take. Do I want to play 18 regular-season games? No, not really. But again I don't want to play four preseason games either. So we'll figure something out.</p> <p><strong>Schein:</strong> "What would you rather do; 18 regular season or four preseason?"</p> <p><strong>Mawae:</strong> "Well, you know, I would rather have 16 regular-season games and two preseason games in a perfect world. You have the argument that, well, the coaches won't have enough time to evaluate players. Don't buy it. We have 14 OTA days. If you're a new coach you have up to five minicamps and most coaches keep their players in town until the middle of July right up until the 10-day dead period before training camp. So I think the biggest issue for players is compensation and potential injury and harm on the field. That's another 120 snaps for myself if you figure you average 60 plays a game and anything can happen. I'm certainly not a big fan of 18 games but, again, if it is something that we can get something significant out of the collective bargaining process, then it's something we'll take a look at."</p> </blockquote>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar