Mason Kinsey (new Titans receiver) Interview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by yanek27, May 4, 2020.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

True, and it is far from where most players are from

Being close to where most players are from is another benefit Tennessee has

It is not that big a difference lol

Probably pay more in taxes in Ohio than you would to make up the difference in endorsement money.

Agents like to push endorsements because those greedy buggers can get a much higher percentage of that money.

2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Maybe for the taxes purpose you’re right but the point has to do with a team like Cleveland offering a player more because they’re in Cleveland, a less than desirable place to play (location wise, not even getting into the dumpster fire that is the browns franchise)

Agree, marginal players can increase marketability without playing well BUT good players can increase their marketability without saying anything. A guy like Marvin Harrison May have reached higher pay to go FA and settle on a crappy franchise. As mentioned, players like to win also.

-Griffin was a superstar for 1 season until the injury, never recovered and cousins played well to push him out of the picture. His marketability has dropped to the bottom after he couldn’t make a return.
    -Baker is marketable because he’s the browns QB and playing well. Browns will market any decent player to draw in fans just like every other team.
    -Cowboys have been marketable since at least the 70’s. Winning helps.
    -minshew was a flash in the pan. Had fans excited til about week 6, then losing happened. He doesn’t win, he’ll be gone quickly.

3. HurrayTitans!

I agree it’s not that big a difference overall, but the point is there probably is a difference.
    Separately, it’s tough to compare when talent means high offers from many teams. Plenty of teams will over pay for talent and location is probably pretty low on the bargaining chips in most cases.
    You said it earlier, players want to win.

4. The Hammer

Players want to win yes, and play ;)

I think playing is the big one, then winning.

Also remember, only a small handful of players make significant money on endorsements in the NFL anyway. And most of them are QBs.

5. LTF

LTF Starter

So, back to what this thread was about. This guy went out of his way to do an interview(wearing a Titans shirt) for the fans. Never underestimate mindset. He is from a small school and probably needs a ton of work to catch up mentally. That does not mean he is not capable of playing at a high level in the NFL. I hope he can catch on long enough to develope into his potential. I will be rooting for him.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

I would take miami off that list. The city is just to awesome if you don't care about winning a ring lol.

Vegas is great to visit but idk if I would want to live there.

Chargers same as miami.

7. Vorsutus

Vorsutus Starter

Again. What about being in Cleveland makes him more marketable? Sorry my wording was poor.

8. Young54

Young54 Starter

You keep ignoring the question and deviating from the main point. That's 3 times now. How many free agents do you think are fair value vs over-paid?

Since JRob has such a track record of "over paying" for free agents, what GMs have a track record of singing players at a discount? You can argue most free agents get "over-paid" (the good/young ones especially). That's just the way the league works. Enlighten me.

and yes, I would wager that jersey sales, endorsements, and other sources of income are more lucrative in Cleveland than in Nashville. The state tax argument is over stated. You only play half the games at home. Tennessee isn't the only state without state tax and for most NFL states, we're talking about 5% or less. For big name players, like the free agents we are talking about, they can make up for that in Jerseys alone in a place like Cleveland over Nashville. There is a reason why players still sign in states like NY and Cali even though they have the highest taxes. Money talks. Which circles all back to the main point, that you need to pay to get free agents, especially in small markets. Sorry dude, Nashville is a small market.

Go ahead and respond with a joke or a meme.

9. The Hammer

I am ignoring your question because it is stupid. Sorry that Ignoring has hurt your feelings so much.

Your long diatribe is full of your personal speculation, not fact. The fact is very few NFL players make significant money from marketing themselves. And the marketing opportunities in Cleveland are not significantly better anyway.

10. HurrayTitans!

He was referring to the pay offered to play in Cleveland vice a city people would actually want to play in.
    That was the explanation of marketable. It’s from the FA standpoint, you can offer less if there are other attractive pieces to offer (desirable city, winning team, etc).
    By that standpoint, a player is more marketable to play in Cleveland.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar