Mariota's Ceiling Heading Into the Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Apr 30, 2019.

?

Will Mariota retire after this season?

This poll will close on Aug 28, 2029 at 4:43 PM.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

I'm with DaCost, if MM8 is the reason we beat Luck, he gets an extension.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 3
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

$21 million?

I suppose after this year it may go up just not with Tennessee.

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I think we'd rather have Walker on the field than Kelly as a 3rd OT. Personally, I'd like to see us go the Rams route and stay in a 3 wr set 90% of the time. Have CD, AB, and Humphries at wr, Walker at TE and Henry in the backfield. Force the defense to pick their poison...come out in base D to stop Henry or go to nickel and let Henry run against 2 LB's and a nickel? If they go base D, Walker and Humphries will get 1 S and 1 LB covering them at best...and also usually forces zone coverage. If they go Nickel, still get a lb or S on Walker and if they go playaction...either have Walker beating a LB or if they drop a S to take Walker, they will either play 1 deep...leaving CD and AB 1v1 and leave deep crossers for Walker and lots of room for Humphries...or go zone and have people open a lot of places. Also gives us those jet sweeps and wr screens to play with.

• Cheers Cheers x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. JRayStay

JRayStay Starter

He was hyping up Gabbert at points last year as well.
    His guy is anyone but Mariota.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 4
    • Pigeon Bomb Pigeon Bomb x 1
  5. Tricky

Tricky Starter

I'm with you on that minimum 20 TD mark and I also see 30TDs as his ceiling.

Another mark I need to see is throwing at least twice as many TDs as INTs and missing no more than 2 games.

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

i would love that, all three of those receivers can block too

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Right now Mariota has 3 main issues.

He has negative pocket awareness.
    He cannot read defenses.
    He is as fragile as a porcelain figurine.

and some of you want to get locked into a long term contract paying over 20mil a year.

it is ridiculous what homerism does to some people.

• Boring x 3
    • Pigeon Bomb x 1
    • Bullsh*t x 1
    • Cheers x 1
    • Troll x 1
  8. theShoemaker

theShoemaker Starter

I've been a Mariota supporter ever since he got here. But my optimism has dwindled. On paper, this should absolutely be his best year as a pro. He has a solid line, competent backs (a beastly one if Henry plays like that last month of 2018), best receiving corps he's had, and a solid defense to his back.

I've never been one to question his toughness, especially not after this last season and all of his injuries he played through. But there is a difference between being tough and being fragile. He is extremely fragile. I don't feel great giving a fragile quarterback a 4 or 5 year contract extension.

I think his ceiling is at most, 30 total touchdowns with 12 interceptions or so and 3,700 yards thrown. But I do believe this is highly unlikely. I think the Titans staff understands his limitations and we will be just as run dominant as in past. Especially if Henry is eating up defenses then I would see no reason not to be.

If Mariota can't stay healthy and play 14 games, then I say it's time to move on. I'm personally tired of mediocre QB play from this team. I love Mariota as a person but am growing tired of his on field production. If he doesn't stay healthy or doesn't show improvement with his play, I'm all for drafting a QB in round one next year. A new QB would be coming into one of the, if not the most, ideal situations in the league.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Alzarius

Alzarius Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

14?

No he needs to play 16 and beyond.

Even a slight injury and the fanbase that supports him will turn on him imo

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar