Mariota's Ceiling Heading Into the Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Apr 30, 2019.

?

Will Mariota retire after this season?

This poll will close on Aug 28, 2029 at 4:43 PM.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

If you don't agree to hate him for nonsensical reasons, you are an apologist in some people's minds.

If you think all players should be held accountable for their play, they ask why are you bashing everyone BUT Mariota (when I DID criticize Mariota too...lol).

Plus, they have no argument for the question you brought up because there is no legit answers they can turn to.

Has CD been in this offense for 4 years? No. Walker? Yes (but hurt nearly the whole season). Taylor? No.

You're making too much sense. When they attack you...you know you're on the right track and asking the right questions.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So if he does it once, you think we should tag him at a HIGHER rate for another year to see if he can do it twice in a row? Or no matter what he does this year, you'd dump him and spend a majority of multiple drafts to get a new franchise guy in the draft or take a chance on a journeyman like Tannehill and hope our less experienced offensive staff can get more out of him than the more experienced staff he was playing under?

3. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

When you say his INSECURITIES...what do you mean specifically? What do you think those are? Proof?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Strange comment...has anyone been complaining about Conklin's LACK of production?

The only other position Conklin's been in is on the bench...so why would you think that? Or do you mean that you think Conklin should be moved inside because that's a better position for him?

And Conklin doesn't have 'production.'

The only comparable thing is that they both better play up to expectations this year. The difference is, we had Conklin's backup out play him on our team in our scheme last year. You could argue you think Tannehill could be Mariota's replacement, but we (nor the coaching staff or JRob) have seen him play better than Mariota on our team in our scheme.

5. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I like how the sportswriters have no consistency from team to team. Read the Rams. They say that the line is their flaw because, in part, saffold left. They then say that our li
    I don't consider myself a Mariota apologist or a hater. I get the myriad reasons why he hasn't produced so far. I do.

Unfortunately, we are approaching a point where a decision has to be made. Pay this guy 25-35 mil or not. Basically put the entire franchise future on this guy or not.

I'm not willing to do that unless and until I've seen some production at a high level. And for whatever reason, valid excuses or no, we have not. If that doesn't change this season, we have no recourse but to move on. There can't be yet another chance. Because giving that chance will ultimately require us to let good players walk away.

I hope he balls out. I legit think this roster can win a super bowl this season. The afc is weak. We can beat any of those teams. We just need more from the offense.

But if we have another injury and inconsistency riddled season, it's time to move on.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  6. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

So because I bring up good points I’m a hater, but when you guys have a different point of view or valid points, it’s so much better. Got it. Take off the blinders guys. We are a half decade in still fighting, asking questions, and clueless about Mariota. I guess the front office, analysts, and anyone not sucking his pipe and singing his praises are haters too. Listen man, I was on this site last year at the same time hyping Mariota saying I think he can ball out. I was singing his praises. I said this was his last shot. Well, he declined even more. Go ahead and use excuses all you want....Injuries, crap players next to him, different coaches, etc....But that’s the NFL man. Either you can get it done or you can’t, and right now, I don’t think he is showing he is long term deal worthy. I hope he balls out, but unlike years past, I’m skeptical. If that makes me a hater, I’m sorry...but I’m a Titans fan and I want to win and go beyond 8-8 and 9-7. I’m not satisfied with that bs.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

If you are willing to hand the keys to a guy that can’t stay healthy, can’t elevate those around them, and can’t be consistent, then I don’t know what to say. Our salary cap is important....He better show me something to earn it, and the front office is saying as much too. I hope it happens, because it means we would be winning and at a new level, but history tells me otherwise. I guess we shall see my friends.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Great analogy.

Unknown QB who may never even reach Mariota's level of success and sets us back 2-4 years or give the guy a shot who beat many playoff teams and was the only successful piece outside of Walker and Taylor on offense.

9. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

I agree in thinking we can win a Super Bowl with the roster. Also agree about Mariota.

What about this scenario though. What if Mariota puts up slightly above average stats but we make a deep playoff run or win the Super Bowl?

I'm just not hung up as much on stats as much as I am on efficiency, moving the chains, and executing the offense. As long as he makes the throws required I'm more of a game tape type of guy. I don't know how to explain it, but some "gun slingers" are actually less effective overall despite the stats.

10. Msut10

Msut10 Starter

I do always find it funny how if Mariota has a good game, they will disappear from the board until the following gameday.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar