Mariota's Ceiling Heading Into the Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Apr 30, 2019.

?

Will Mariota retire after this season?

This poll will close on Aug 28, 2029 at 4:43 PM.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

lmaoooooo

hit the nail on the head

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

it's because mariota is our week 1 starter

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I actually think that he could have a good season. People assume that I hate Mariota, because I say that I hate Mariota. But he excels in certain situations, and struggles in certain situations. Those situations are just flipped relative to the QBs in the rest of the league.

He's good under pressure (when he throws), at 3rd and long, in crucial late game situations. But poor at 3rd and short, in a clean pocket, etc.

They brought in Tannehill, whether you people believe it or not, to keep that fire lit underneath him and to keep him sharp every play. If we can get 4th quarter Mariota on every play, combine that with a significantly improved supporting cast, he may look like a star.

It's been a while, so people forget the difference. But this guy could play:

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

I don't think RT was brought in to light a fire under Mariota. He doesn't need extra motivation. RT was brought in as insurance in case Mariota gets hurt again which is a legitimate issue.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

His work ethic is not the problem. His issue is getting anxious and second guessing himself and what he's seeing. But that all kind of disappears when there is no room for error. With another starting QB behind him, they are hoping that he stays focused and has that mindset in practice and on every down

It's the same mindset as the Henry ordeal last year. He was benched for Flu, rumored to be on the trade block, and you suddenly see a different player. Some guys just don't have the alpha or chip on the shoulder mindset and have to be motivated in a different way.

#135 abc2330, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Yea, that would have really changed the situation. Instead of Mariota, we have tannehill. I’ll call that a wash.
    Then the whole backup situation but with tannehill as starter. Cassel again? Gabbert some more? Unknown QB?

Wouldn’t have made much sense to do that at all.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Why? Mariota has a CHANCE to be a franchise QB and has a higher ceiling than Tannehill. Unless they are convinced Mariota can't play as well as he did in '16, why dump him? They have Tannehill to back him up or takeover were he to play worse.

If you brought Drew Lock or someone like that in here and forced them to start from day 1, we wouldn't be looking at the playoffs this year. Not a good gamble.

This way, we see what Mariota can do. He does great...it works out. He does poorly, tannehill takes over and we still have a chance...and then draft a new guy next year in a better QB class.

Sounds like a good plan!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Not really. When JRob says come in and compete and push...he doesn't mean compete to take his job...but rather a daily competitive situation. Tannehill will throw it better than gabbert so Mariota will have a better measuring stick on a daily basis. It will keep him more engaged.

Mariota's issues tend to be 3 things. Mechanics - mostly footwork which was revamped last year. Combine the 'new' mechanics with him getting injured so early and you have a recipe for inconsistency. But mechanics is one issue he needs to work on. Second is protection. When you're frequently running for your life, it's hard to consistently focus on staying ion the pocket and having the confidence you'll have the time to run thru your reads. Lastly is staying healthy. That is accomplished in a variety of ways and the Titans need to use them all...from playcalling (more quick passing game) and use playaction for shot plays with max protect, a strong run game, and getting Mariota to get rid of the ball faster this year....more checkdowns when there's pressure to keep him healthier.

Another way to help him is strategically. I've mentioned this is several places, but if we use a 3 wr set as our base formation, it puts defenses in a bad situation. Stop henry out of Nickel, or stop a 3 wr set with a base D (only 4 secondary players). Gives our playcalling an immediate advantage as whatever the defense does, we have mismatches in either the run or passing game. Also, with a 3 wr set, how you spread people out gives the QB an easier read (one of the reasons Mariota is better in 2 min).

The Colts did this with great success with Luck last year (the get rid of the ball faster, quick game, max protect shot playaction, improve ol) and the Rams have been in 11 personel like 90% of the time and this is a big reason for Gurley and Goff's success!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. Dee

Dee Pro Bowler

Yo, Henry wore #2 that season??

10. Bonky

Bonky Pro Bowler Tip Jar Donor

No, that's not an assumption, it's an opinion based upon what YOU have said. Like when you said the Titans were going to draft Drew Lock in the 1st round, don't be surprised when you get called out on some of your ridiculous statements.

I have no idea what you're thinking about when you make posts like this, but I ASSUME it's probably something like this:

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 1
    • Troll Troll x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar