Mariota's Ceiling Heading Into the Season

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by CJtheBeast, Apr 30, 2019.

?

Will Mariota retire after this season?

This poll will close on Aug 28, 2029 at 4:43 PM.
  1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

I get my information the same as where you get yours?
    That is a leap to say it is catchable if you get two hands on it. What if you get two hands on it at the same time you get leveled by a defender? That is absolutely NOT the definition of a catchable ball.

So call up your coach, send him the video and ask him if that was a bad drop by Taylor. I guarantee he says NO.

• Troll Troll x 1
  2. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Only for arguments sake, same scenario, WR gets 2 hands on the ball and gets leveled, is that a bad throw if it’s not “catchable” by the example you just gave?

At some point, even with excellent plays/games and terrible plays/games, the other team that also gets paid should be given credit from time to time.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. VondyP

VondyP Undisputed 2QBeaver Champion

"it hit him directly in the hands but i wouldnt call it a drop"

lol.... what?

definitely not a bad drop but it is what it is. and these are the same ppl that say others make excuses.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  4. 10ECTyrant

10ECTyrant What! Tip Jar Donor

WR's in the NFL are expected to catch balls that they get both hands on

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

If the QB hits him in the hand, yeah. If the WR has to dive and catch it two feet from the ground, the success rate goes way down. If Rodgers or Mahomes threw that ball and it was caught, they wouldn't be receiving credit for a perfect throw like Mariota is. The WR would be getting all of the credit

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I said it was a bad catch as in...he dropped it. It's just a drop. Harder catch than usual? Yes. But we expect HS kids to make that catch.

Did you cut Mariota any slack for making some 'harder than usual' throws under pressure? No. Why are you holding the wr's to a different standard?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  7. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Give me a break.

• Troll Troll x 2
  8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

From your experience playing and coaching football?

That was the minimal standard for both QB's and wr's day 1 in HS Football. Qb's had to get the ball to the receiver and if the receiver could get two hands on it, you were expected to catch the ball!

It is catchable if you get two hands on it. If you're getting leveled at the same time...then the defense has made the act of catching the ball tougher...the ball is still a catchable ball.

Have you once said that bad pass isn't on Mariota because the line let him down and he got crushed by a free rusher?

Why the double standard? You expect other players to do their jobs even under more difficult circumstances. And in the case of Taywan...no one was crushing him. He had every opportunity to catch it...he just didn't.

No one said it was a bad drop. It was a bad catch because he dropped it. And I don't need to call my old coach to know the answer. I made that catch in HS. I've also dropped that ball in HS. My coach didn't cut me any slack for dropping the ball because I dove for it and it was a more difficult catch...he chewed me out for not catching it. And as far as getting crushed when the ball gets there...he had a saying. If you're gonna 'pay' for the catch by getting decked...you might as well catch the ball.

His standard for HIGH SCHOOL players was if it hits you in two hands, it's your responsibility to catch the ball. Why would you hold an NFL wr to a lesser standard?

#1228 Gut, Jun 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Exactly. Sometimes the defense wins...even with a great throw or a great route or whatever. Some people go by the result and others go by the execution of their job. Sometimes the qb makes the perfect throw and the db makes a great play and picks it off. Some will blame the qb, others the wr….very few credit the db.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

So are kids in High School! Pee wee...no. Maybe not JV. But Varsity football there is no excuses for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar