Mariota is going to...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JustAFan, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Will Mariota play better or worse in 2018

Poll closed Jul 20, 2018.
  1. Lots better (last year was the fault of the offensive scheme)

39 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. A little better (last year was partially the fault of the offensive scheme)

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. About the same . (Mariota is a mediocre QB)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. A little worse (Mariota is over rated)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A lot worse (Mariota will be exposed for the sucky QB he is)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Cant wait

2. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

I picked # 2, but truthfully I think it's a blend of option 1 and 2. His mechanics were an issue last year for a number of reasons, and he knew that. The scheme was also garbage. Now that there's a scheme installed to play to his strengths, he's working on his footwork and mechanics and Robisky is gone, I believe he'll be a top 10 QB this year as his floor. If the offense clicks and the WR's play to their potential, he could have a top 5 season.

3. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

Gee I wonder who selected the last option??? Hater always gonna hate regardless...sheesh

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

It was always so deflating so get amped up for Sunday, game comes on, Titans receive, run twice out of a jumbo set and then and INC pass and punt because the offense was so bland. The kick the ball away and you get the gut feeling; *ugh, here we go again*. Then the other team's offense goes for the jugular and we're down 5 mins in.

Really hope this offense clicks, it'll be so refreshing. I remember being envious during that Rams game, thinking to myself "if only we could run something like that, Mariota is better than Goff". So glad things shook out the way they did.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

I know exactly what you're feeling! I would wake up at 9am PST and meet up with my friends to watch games at Buffalo Wild Wings or Big Al's as games start at 10am for us on the west coast. I would get hyped for Titans then just see ridiculous predictable play calling, such a let down, no excitement at all. Only game where we came out and slit throats was that 1st game vs jags.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. kenny

kenny Starter

Anyone who does not see the scheme has a huge hurdle for ANY QB has issues. Especially when TR comes out & says he "Will call the same run play 7-8 times until it works." The old scheme was largely predictable & extremely run heavy. The entire offense was built around the run game, not the QB. Even pass plays were largely used to set up the next run. We often sent only 2 receiving options out making it FAR too easy for DBs to cover; and still have 1 DB to target the ball. The offense made it very hard for ANY QB to be good. It is a miracle that Marcus was able to have such a good season in 2016 in this offense. Defenses did not have film on the offense tho… No one had been stupid enough to let Mularkey lead an offense for years.

Now we have a staff w/ some younger/more innovative minds. I really hope we FINALLY break into a modern day NFL offense. We still need to run the ball of course. However, it does not have to be the only part of the offense you care about!! I am excited to see what this team can do w/ a real offense not 100% designed around running the ball. I hate that Marcus is learning ANOTHER new offense. However, I knew it was coming. I knew when we hired Mularkey we would be looking for another offense soon after... His scheme is just too predictable for todays' NFL.

7. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

New uniforms = super bowl.

That's the way it works.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. SalmonSlayer

SalmonSlayer Pro Bowler

LOL if it happens I might have my 3rd child!

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

He's going to take a big step forward. As most are saying, the bullcrap offensive scheme is gone, as is Robiskie. We now have an amazing offensive coordinator and Mariota had a healthy off season. Potential is through the roof.

10. Backinmyday

Backinmyday Starter

It wasn't just Marcus that went backwards last year, it was the just about the entire offense and I put a lot of that on the predictable coaching scheme from the previous staff.

I expect Marcus and Matt to work well together and we'll see a different offense this year. Matt said from the very outset that the team needs to build their offense around their talent and not try to put a square peg into a round hole like Mularkey & Company were trying to do.

As Titans' fans, I think there is plenty of good reason to be optimistic, but we need to have some realistic expectations, too, and not to cry "The Sky is Falling" after every bad game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar