Mariota is going to...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JustAFan, Jul 6, 2018.

?

Will Mariota play better or worse in 2018

Poll closed Jul 20, 2018.
  1. Lots better (last year was the fault of the offensive scheme)

39 vote(s)
    54.2%
  2. A little better (last year was partially the fault of the offensive scheme)

30 vote(s)
    41.7%
  3. About the same . (Mariota is a mediocre QB)

2 vote(s)
    2.8%
  4. A little worse (Mariota is over rated)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. A lot worse (Mariota will be exposed for the sucky QB he is)

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JustAFan

JustAFan Starter

George Blanda points two his two championships!
    (For the old foggies)

2. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

The scheme last year, if you can dignify it as such, was tailored exactly opposite to mariotas strengths.

I expect to see a big improvement. For one, he’s coming in fully healthy with a full offseason of prep and work with receivers, who are now a year more experienced.

For another, LaFleur will bootleg him, call screens, and other such things to play to the strengths of not only mariota, but Henry and others as well.

And having a true pass catching back in the stable will help the numbers.

The thing mariota showed last year was grit, heart, and leadership. That you can’t teach. He will take off this season.

• High Five High Five x 5
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

My point was in comparison to Mariota. He gets critized for last year (only his 3rd year) not great teams. He too can be great as his career unfolds and the team around him improves.

And besides I didn't think the CFL counts around here ;)

4. TitansWrath

TitansWrath Pro Bowler

I wanna finally, for the first time ever as a titans fan, see an aggressive offensive plan. No more of this small ball field position keep it close until the 4th crap. I wanna come out going for the jugular, and keep scoring points until they cry uncle.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I just think it's a tall comparison to say that Mariota will ever be better than Moon. Certainly at his 3 year mark after the pretty pedestrian year he just had.

I like Mariota. I think he will have a great year and as I've pointed out before, keep the Titans very competitive even in the playoffs.

Moon was one of the best to play the game. In today's social media filled world, ever new name that has any success at all is immediately compared to the greats and that's completely unrealistic and really unfair to the young talent. If Mariota is our QB for 8 years or so, that in itself is already among the greatest in franchise history and I definitely see him reaching that mark.

Moon (10), Pastorini (9), Blanda(7) and McNair(9) are the only guys to have the most starts 5+ seasons with this franchise (58 years) Then we get into the Collins and VY numbers (4-5 years). Mariota is about to cement his place in Titan history just by playing well enough to hang around. Bonus, he's pretty good.

To note, we've had a couple really good QB's show up, but they're known for their careers on other teams:
    Ken Stabler (2)
    Lynn Dickey (3 years as backup)
    Archie Manning (1 yr start/1 yr backup)
    Matt Hasselbeck (1 yr start/1 yr backup)
    and
    Neil O'Donnell (5 backup yrs), chris chandler (2 yrs as starter) were alright guys that we didn't have for their best years.

6. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I agree. We saw the offensive power only back in the Moon days that I've ever seen.
    I still think a power Defense is necessary as that's what wins championships, but I really want to see an offense that is capable of scoring every time they touch the ball and at least has the capability to make a comeback if necessary.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Thats this offense

Play to win

Last offense was the complete opposite. Try to get a lead and sit on the points. Cant win in this league doing that every week.

8. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

Sure...and now he is in the hall of fame...

9. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

Moon was definitely better than pastorini...I don’t think it is close there. But Blanca is in the hall so maybe you could make that case...different era does make it hard as you say.

If Marcus wins a super bowl passing moon won’t be so hard...

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  10. Titanoiler51

Titanoiler51 Starter

Yeah...you can definitely make a case for blanda...forgot about him...pre-super bowl era and all...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar