Mariota’s pick thrown targeting Davis

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MariGOATa, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

That was a different quote, so I commenting in response to the one you used.
    Yes, The play call can be questionable on the short side of the field because of how close Davis and Walker had to run by design. Davis was up against the sideline to start his route, after he passes where Walker/Peters end up is where Davis F's up his route by curling in. There's not a lot of room passed him since he was around the GL-5 yard line when the INT happened so had he run the correct route, he would have been up against the back of the EZ. The window for Mariota even by design was pretty small between the sideline and the trailing defender on Walker. I could say that this play may have worked out better just being reversed to the strong side of the field.

What no one can truly know, is if Mariota stared down Walker or if he was looking at Davis as well. Both were so close, I don't know that Peters could have known either. IF Mariota had seen Peters, then he shouldn't have thrown it and the play was a bust because Davis curled in towards the safety, so he also wasn't open.

2. 12th Titan

12th Titan Starter

They ran that exact play a little bit later, near midfield, Davis ran deep, Walker was wide open and made the catch.

Same exact play.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Wasn't his route running a strength?

It was a bad call with that little field. too many guys in 1 area.

4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Yes. It was also a strength of Taylor's. Accuracy and taking care of the ball was a strength of Mariota. This is what a bad coaching staff does to players.

• High Five High Five x 3
  5. Big TT

Big TT AKA QUADZILLA-STATE CHAMP-

everything I read said he was a burner, with so, so route skills.

6. apathaeticTN

apathaeticTN Starter

exactly

7. DaCost

DaCost Starter

To me it was all on Mariota he call the play and stare down walker...sure Davis route was bad but it was more on Marcus.

8. 12th Titan

12th Titan Starter

I swear, I can't understand some people. Mariota could go 25-27 for 275 and 2 TD'S, win the game, and people would still be on the boards saying he's not accurate.. "oh, but he.made 2 bad throws that he should have made..he missed a guy wide open. We could have won by 20, but we only won by 13.. oh it's all Mariota's fault..

OMG..

Smh

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

There was plenty of room. As you can see from the video Walker's route is at the 10 yard line. That gives Davis 10-15 yards to run the CB off. Decker runs a perfect 5 yard out. Not only is he wide open, you can also see the space it creates behind him. If Davis had run the CB off to the 5 yard line, that's all that's needed. The "problem" with the play is that the CB decided to jump Walkers route.

If you really want to nitpick, you could argue Mariota should have seen the safety turn to the trips side and that Matthews had inside leverage on his post route.

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/l4t...ads/chorus_asset/file/10000573/Peters_INT.gif

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

so we're both saying the same thing about peters making a good play. Davis helped allow this by running off his route which we've now both agreed.
    Mariota not seeing decker/possibly forcing it to Walker, seems like some fault to Mariota.

So we just agreed on 3 of the 4 pieces I said could be at fault for this play result.

The last one is play selection from Mularkey. It's a subjective argument. I think it leaves tight windows to throw to either DW or Davis by running this on the short side of the field and as close to the EZ as it was.
    Agree or don't agree, I'm done talking about this play. It was one play, the chiefs made the better one and ultimately it didn't matter. On to NE where I'm sure there will be more than one play to completely dissect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar