Mariota’s pick thrown targeting Davis

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by MariGOATa, Jan 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

They had plenty of room to run it. Sure, if you're at midfield you can stretch a little more vertically with Davis running a Go route, but all passing teams run this play virtually all over the field. The Titans didn't invent this play or route combo, all teams run it. And if Davis runs his route better, it's a completion or a TD and people are talking about what a nice play it was instead of passing the blame around to people who DID do their jobs.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Fixated? LOL!

Davis and Walker are 1 and 2 on that play. Davis didn't run a good route and wasn't open so he goes to his next read...Walker...who IS open. But Davis didn't even run his guy off so it gets picked.

Mariota made the right read AND the right throw. Davis made a mistake and it cost us. He's a rookie, it happens. Hopefully in the next game he makes up for it!

Mariota made enough bad interceptions he deserves the blame for during the regular season. Blame him for the ones he misread, made a bad decision on, or made a bad throw. He didn't do any of those things on this play.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Everyone's an expert, huh. Peters was looking at Mariota's eyes and followed them right to where the ball was going. Blaming Davis for the interception is laughable. This is what Peters does.

I suppose when he jumped another receiver's route later in the game, leaving Davis running wide open towards the endzone, that Davis deserves credit for that?

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

If Davis ran his route correctly and Peters left him wide open in the endzone to get to that ball and Mariota didn't see it, you'd be correct.

But...

That's not what happened.

You guys either don't understand football, or hate Mariota. Probably every team in the NFL runs that play. If everyone runs the right routes correctly, it's good against zones and man. He read it right and threw it correctly. Davis made a mistake. Plain and simple.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I think you should stay calm but, I didn't say Mariota made a bad throw there, I actually pointed directly to Peters saying he made a good play.

When I said Mariota's game needs to improve, it was on the comment of his decision making on forcing a throw, looking to another option, or running the ball. He had 15 INT this year, that's something he can improve on. Not a comment specifically about this play.

6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Every interception thrown by Marcus, the crowd should chant, “Davis! You suck! It’s all your fault!”

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Yes, when you don't get cleared out and are therefore in range to make that play, yes, it's a good play by Peters. But if Davis ran his route correctly, Peters wouldn't have been in range to make that play. One of the ways you know that is that Davis and Walker ended up way too close together. When you look at the design of the play and it's execution, the problem falls on Davis's route running. His guy wouldn't have been there if Davis was where he was supposed to be.

Since you think this is 'laughable' shows you don't understand route combinations nor their purpose. It'd be nice if you understood what you were looking at.

And...here's a quote of you...
    "I suppose when he jumped another receiver's route later in the game, leaving Davis running wide open towards the endzone, that Davis deserves credit for that?"

What play are you talking about?

8. Apcgamb24

Apcgamb24 Starter

Cris Carter on his show earlier today detailed how it was Davis' fault. I still blame Mariota for making the decision to even throw it in that crowded area though. The bigger problem is how bad that play call was.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

There was a play in the second half when Davis was wide open for what would have been a TD, and Mariota missed him. Peters did the same thing that he did on his INT, jumped a route of another receiver, but it backfired. As I said, it's what he does.

I'm not arguing that Davis didn't run a good route. But bringing an All Pro CB into the areas of the throw who gets his hands on more INTs than anyone is just asking for trouble. There are just too many things which can go wrong with a pick play that far down the field where the throw arrives just mere yards away from where the pick occurred, and I think people are being too hard on Davis. It was too risky of a throw and play IMO.

#39 abc2330, Jan 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
  10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

First, I am calm...just passionate!

Second, you said, "Not the best play call but add bad execution by Mariota and Davis."

It was a good play call. If Davis runs his route correctly, that's a first down or a TD. So what's wrong with the playcall? Short side of the field doesn't mean much except you have a shorter window in which to throw the pass. If everyone does their job, it's a completion and possibly a TD instead of an INT. Mariota made the right read (Davis is covered so he goes to Walker who is open) and the right throw. Simply bad execution by Davis.

In terms of this...Mariota has made some very poor throws because his footwork/balance were off. I suspect some of that was dealing with his mechanics after the injury and took it took some time to adjust. He's not all the way back, but better than earlier in the season.

Other times he made very poor decisions which led to some inexplicable INT's. I think some of that is a byproduct of our running game not producing and him being in a lot more 3rd and longs and trying to do too much and forcing some throws that weren't there. Last year, he threw most of those away. Hopefully, he's learned from some of those poor decisions and will go back to throwing it away (live to fight another day) and let the defense and special teams do their thing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar