Manziel Vs. Jake Locker

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by cdubbs2121, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdubbs2121

cdubbs2121 Pro Bowler

I'm posting this not because I'm an advocate for drafting Manziel at 11 (though I think he would be fun to watch and add a spark to our team) but because of the general sentiment and disdain for the guy expressed on the board compared to Jake Locker when he was coming out.

I think as Titans fans everyone gets so enamored with a guy's "character" and not necessarily his production.

Jake Locker seems to be an all around good guy BUT going all the way back to college he was erratic as hell, injury prone as hell, and let's be honest played for and lead really crap UW teams.

Manziel on the other hand won the heisman, hasn't been hurt, for the most part has been consistent, and his numbers BLOW Jake out of the water in college.

BUT Manziel has a bad rap as a show boater, and has some off field issues.

Most fans to seem to have had no problem with taking Locker at 8 a few years ago but are LIVID with the thought of taking Manziel at 11 this year even though he's a much better prospect than Jake was. He's shorter (yes), scrambles(yes) but don't even try to say he'll get hurt more than Mr. Brittle.

So is it just a personal thing against Manziel that we justified Jake who hasn't panned out over Manziel?

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Jake Locker put UW on the map with little to no help. Manziel had tons of talent around him.

Reason Im better with Jake than Johnny is because Jake has NFL measurables, Manziel does not.

• High Five High Five x 4
  3. Cajun_Titan_33

Cajun_Titan_33 Pro Bowler

You could make an arguement that Manziel put A&M back on the map...

• High Five High Five x 4
  4. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Yes we do. And with good reason. Bad character QBs tend to flop in the NFL:

• Ryan Leaf
    • Vince Young
    • Jamarcus Russell
    • Matt Leinahrt
    • Blaine Gabbert

5. JCBRAVE

You could try but A&M used to be the place to be in the 90's

6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

UW was too in the 90s and early 2000s. Even won a national title. Were good up until they gave Slick Rick the boot.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. Cajun_Titan_33

Cajun_Titan_33 Pro Bowler

Loved me some Dat Nguyen!

8. titans92790

titans92790 Starter

I love Locker too much, I think injuries are bad luck, and that the same type of hits would cause Manziel injuries. No chance of you being able to provide a reasoning to why Manziel is less likely to get injured than Jake is there cdubbs2121?

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

Or.. the the bust QBs' bad character gets exposed by the media, while good NFL QB's bad behavior is swept under the rug. Most NFL QBs are not good character people. They are smug and arrogant "Me" guys for the most part.

Roethlisberger is a bad character guy. But since he wins (historically) he is allowed to get a mostly free pass. If someone like VY did that... people might literally have his head.

The media chooses who they want to expose (but some do make it a lot easier for them)

Manning has a horrible attitude when things don't go his way. He is a bad teammate in those cases. Luckily for him.. he wins.

So it's about half character, and half how good you are at football.

If Manziel defies what most of us believe, and lights up the NFL, we won't be hearing a peep about his character flaws unless he does something jail-worthy.

McNair was not a high character guy, but he was good at hiding it.

Leinart was no worse of character than most other NFL QBs. He's pretty stereotypical as far as attitude goes. Manning would probably be guilty of all these same things, if he were in Leinart's shoes career-wise. Hot tubbing it up with chicks is probably something 99.9 percent of NCAA football players do. The photos just don't often surface.

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. JCBRAVE

They had some good years, but not like A&M did when R. C. Slocum was around. I remember as a kid the Aggies were killing it for like a whole decade. I had family in Texas so somehow my house had A&M gear laying around. Those are some of my earliest football memories.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar