Malik Hooker

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Broken Arrow, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Walker has a pretty stacked DL around him as well. FSU led the country in sacks. Derrick Nnadi and Josh Sweat will be drafted in the top 75 picks next year. Brian Burns had 9.5 sacks as a freshman.

Walker's versatility is what allowed FSU to get the speed rushers on the field though. Being able to move inside got Burns in at end.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

PFF on Hooker. Had him ranked #13 of draft eligible players.

A new addition to the draft board since declaring for the draft, Hooker is intriguing for the range and ball skills that he showed in his one year of action at Ohio State. As a redshirt sophomore, Hooker stepped right in with immediate splash plays on the back end of Ohio State’s defense, and his interception of Watson in the College Football Playoff semifinal was a prime example of the incredible range he brings to a defense. Few free safeties have shown those skills in recent years, making Hooker a rare commodity, perhaps so rare that teams will overlook his tackling woes that saw him miss a tackle every 6.5 attempts, good for 135th out of 242 qualifying safeties in the nation. Still, Hooker can be a game-changer in coverage, and he’ll get plenty of looks near the top of the draft.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

Uaing PBU's to value coverage ability.... this sounds familiar....

Just a friendly jab! But thanks :)

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Touche;)

Not rating his coverage ability, just pointing out it isn't zero or below zero as some here think! But good point to make!

He and Adoree Jackson are elite athletes that are raw players. They both need a lot of technique work so it'll be interesting to see who and how far up they get drafted and how they get developed.....or don't.

5. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

I've seen him miss some tackles, but 1 out of every 6.5 seems awfully high! Then again, they think they can evaluate secondary play accurately from broadcast views...lol! I KNOW he's not the 135th best tackling S in college. Yet another example of how I think PFF's rankings aren't worth much.

And if they think he is that awful at tackling, how do they rate him as the 13th best player in the draft???

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Dman5TX

Dman5TX Pro Bowler

I watched Adoree Jackson the other night and he has some very special tools but he's super inconsistent. Elite speed, good ball skills, decent body control (there are times he slips and falls). But he gets beat on double moves and he isn't a very physical corner. Plus it seems like in zone coverage he gives up the underneath route far too often. Note the Notre Dame game.

But if he can be developed he can be special and his return skills are elite as well.

Unfortunately, I can see him being a Devin Hester type player. Having to transition to WR and basically stay on a team to be a KR.

He could also become a great all around player. Boom or bust with him. I personally wouldn't want us to draft him in the 1st round. I think there are other CB's who help this team out right away and still have high ceilings.

I'm not a huge fan of taking "projects" in the first round though.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. chapa_el

chapa_el Starter

I don't know if i like hooker at 5 overall but he was a turnover machine just like byard was in college. I love the potential of those two handling safety duties

8. Ant Howard

Ant Howard Starter

I"m no expert about safety but I will say that this team can not cover the tight end or consistently cover players outside the numbers...this draft screams a trade down from 5 but no lower than the teens but if we have to take a player at 5, I'd like Foster, he immediately becomes a more gifted player than Williamson and a giant upgrade over Spence and Woodyard....Remember Byard, (who I love) was a ball hawk and he didn't pick off one this year and that was his bread and butter at Middele

9. Ant Howard

Ant Howard Starter

You make some great points about Jackson, and I'm here in LA so I have seen him a lot...the Hester comparison is excellent, but i will say this, if he needs polish and he probably will, at the very least, you get a monster in the return game, which we haven't seen, ideally since Derrick Mason or Mariani's rookie year and we are in desperate need of someone who can flip the field, that is why I think he would be there in the second round, if we could somehow parlay the 5th pick into a mid first and a second, i saw here on the board Cleveland can do that....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar