Malcolm Butler

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tricky, Feb 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

*** I agree with jc

2. PRAY IV M3RCY

PRAY IV M3RCY Pro Bowler

Every open practice I have been to where they have the WR vs DB drills Kalen Reed always shines. I think he plays with better shut down corner instincts than Sims. I really don't understand why he doesn't get more opportunities over some of these other guys. Im truly baffled by that.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

A change in coaching staff could be good for him. Dick was likely set on his predetermined pecking order. He does seem more aggressive , though Sims really steps that up in the red zone so he should have value there.

#73 abc2330, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    • High Five High Five x 1
  4. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

I'd have to go back and find the exact quote.

But sometime late in the year after Sim's got hurt and Ryan got hurt one game and McCain finally was riding the bench. Reed came in to play snaps late in a game. Later that week after a practice, they asked Mularkey why Reed hasn't gotten more playing time cause he seemed to do well.

Paraphrasing he then said something like "He's been playing sticky coverage on our starting WR's all year as a scout DB. He's been very valuable there and help these guys get ready for gamedays."

So essentially, Mularkey and his staff felt he was more valuable imitating opposing teams starting corners than getting legit snaps on defense himself.

It could be just lip service, like most coaching comments on individual players.

But at the same time, with the exception of one deep ball in pre-season week 4 (against Mahomes, who looks like he may be the real deal) and the fact he was playing against 2nd and 3rd stringers. He had the best opposing QB rating when targeted in the NFL during pre-season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

That's why our WRs had such a low drop rate. Everything seemed easy on gameday after dealing with Mr. Reed. Decker probably had PTSD after getting owned and dropped all of those balls.

So he wasn't getting reps on gameday, but Dodd was? Hopefully his response was truthful and not just some PC way to avoid answering the question.

6. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

Not sure, even then. Towards the end there and in the playoffs, Tye Smith was getting more snaps than him.

Although, that staff was more high on corners that can tackle, rather than covering and Smith was a pretty sound tackling CB.

That's why our DBs constantly played off the ball. Sure it was stupid and annoying to see our guys playing 10 yards off the ball on 3rd and 6. But their philosophy was pretty much, let them get catch the ball for a few yards then wrap them up immediately for a short gain.

That may of been a key reason why Reed didn't see too many defensive snaps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar