Mailbag: Will Titans or Jags draft a QB?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Mar 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em> <p><strong>Julian in Tallahassee, FL writes:</strong> I have seen a few mock drafts that have the Jags taking either Sanchez or Stafford with the eighth pick in the draft. While I know that one should never pass on a potential franchise QB, what kind of message would it send with a team drafting a QB in the first round when you have an established starter who is one year into his lucrative contract?</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> Well some would question <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=3636" target="_new">David Garrard</a> as an 'established starter.' I know Garrard had bad protection and weapons last year. (See Del Rio on that <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-8-117/Del-Rio-focused-on-getting-weapons-for-Garrard.html" target="_blank">here</a>.)</p> <p>I think the Jaguars are sold on him, but a lot of people in the league aren't.<br /> <br /> Still, I can't see them taking a quarterback -- would create too much debate and distraction. And besides, they have a lot of other areas to address.</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Ben in Nashville:</strong> Hey Paul, as draft time nears I can't help but think the Titans need to address the QB position...again! Personally, I think VY is not the answer after Collins and honestly I don't ever see him panning out in the NFL because of his accuracy issues and his inability to read defenses. With that said, I really like Rhett Bomar from Sam Houston St. What do you think the chances are that the Titans take him (or another QB) in the the 2nd-3rd round? As needs go I have them in this order: 1. CB 2. QB 3.DE 4. WR (I think we will get Holt) 5. OLB</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> I was thinking they could draft a quarterback. But Jeff Fisher said Monday at the owners meetings that he expects the third guy in the mix to <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-8-111/Fisher-goes-hypothetical-for-VY.html" target="_blank">be a veteran</a>.<br /> <br /> Certainly quarterback beyond this year is a big question.</p> <p>They aren't going to be drafting in order of their need, they're going to be drafting based on the value of what's there at each pick.</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Jake Large in Singapore writes:</strong> Hey Paul! Great work on the blog, I read it every week. My question is about the Colts. How likely is it that the Colts look for an OT in the first round? Last year, it seemed Diem was a step slower than in the past and the coaches seemed down on Ugoh taking him out of the starting lineup for a couple weeks. I think Ugoh would be more natural on the right side since he seems to be a better run blocker than pass protect guy. Eben Britton might be available, right? You know how Polian is, always unpredictable in first round. Keep up the great work! Jake</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> Thanks Jake. We need to move you from every week to every day and from every day to a couple times a day.</p> <p>Nothing would surprise me, but an OT in the first round would be, at least in part, a concession they missed on Ugoh. And I don't know if they are ready to make that sort of admission yet. As for <a href="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=2667" target="_new">Ryan Diem</a>, we need to see what he's like after missing the whole year coming off the knee injury.</p> <hr /> <p><strong>Brandon in Nashville writes:</strong> We've seen mention of possible rule changes being discussed while owners meet. However, I've heard no mention of the play clock issue experience during the Titans playoff loss. Is this being discussed?</p> <p><strong>Paul Kuharsky:</strong> Fisher said way back at the combine that nothing was going to come of it. You can find that <a href="/blogs/afcsouth/0-7-561/Titans-on-free-agency-pace--play-clock-and-more.html" target="_blank">here</a>.</p>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar