Mahelona to Add Depth to DTs

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Following a season-ending injury to DT Rien Long on Saturday, the Titans will need rookie Jesse Mahelona to step up in the rotation. "When someone goes down, you have to pick up the slack," said Mahelona. "Rien is a good player, and I am young and we have other young guys, too. But we just have step up and take control out there and follow the guys that are leading us now. ... I just want to show a lot of people what I can do. I did pretty well at Tennessee, and I want to go to the NFL and be even that much better. But right now it just takes time." At six foot, 311 pounds, Mahelona plays with good leverage. "Some of the shorter guys up front have a tendency to get the pads high and look around," said Fisher. "He has a sense for where the ball is because he can feel. He's very instinctive."

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Long is done!

His injury may very well end his career. Certainly may end his career with the titans since this is a contract year for him.

Long is not a starting caliber DT he is not a big run stopper. He is a guy who relies on straight ahead quickness and does not have great lateral quickness. If this injury takes away anything at all from him he may not be good enough to make an NFL team.

If he does come back and can get back to where he was we will have no problem getting a new contract since few will want him then..

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

atleast we get to sign him to a cheap one year contract to see what he has....if we are interested.

4. metal957

metal957 Starter

Hey I am a Big University of Tennessee Fan and student for that matter. And have watched Jesse destroy opposition at that level. If anyone can step up their level of play when it is necessary it is Mahelona. Good thing will happen with him. All I have to say is Randy better watch his back because Jesse maybe starting by the end of this year.

5. Tennessee

Tennessee Guest

Mahelona is massive... and on his 6' frame....

In training camp yesterday he had the largest calf muscles I have ever seen on a human. They seriously looked like basketballs compared to the rest of the D-line's Softballs...

I do really think his instinct, potential, and desire will push Starks.

(oops... didn't know about the Training Camp Forum b/f I made this post)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar