Looks Like Young Might Ride The Short Bus

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ChitownTitan, Feb 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

But prag...

Much of the reasons given for why one group performs differently from another don't apply here. We are not comparing college graduates with high school drop outs. We are not comparing affluent people to poor people. The sample is a much tighter one. All of these men are young, healthy, well fed and all had at least the opportunity to attend a college. All are athletes who had to contribute a significant amount of time to football.

2. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

Excellant point. So my speculation may be completly off. But the fact those guys all scored just around one standard deviation lower is what sticks out to me.

But I dont think the sample is as small as you think. We are talking about pro or potential pro athletes. These guys did not have to get into college based on academics- though they may have. I dont know.

It fits if you think about it. Pro sports are some of the primary goals for many low SES kids. How many pro athletes came from low SES? So I think saying that that they went to college and that makes them completely different from those of the same group of individuals that didnt go to college may not be true. They used athletics to get out of that "culture" where others couldn't. (again this culture as I'm calling it, is not just low SES but also norms and values of particular groups)

3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

So Vince is one of the smart ones from the Hood? or Cutler and Leinart are idiot jocks from the suburbs? Or Vince is just dumb as a rock, and Cutler and Leinart aren't?

4. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

On the list of "things that matter", the wonderlic is way down there. Again, teams will bring in the QB's and give them a "football" test to see if they recognize coverages, understand plays, etc.

5. PragIdealist

PragIdealist Guest

Exactly. Which is why I posted this first.

[​IMG][/IMG]

We keep wondering why its not moving- so we beat it harder. :))

6. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

The #1 reason that anyone is making a big deal about it? The draft is still over a month away and nothing else to talk about it.

7. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Some of the moves that staff has made the past couple years leaves that up for debate...:ha:

8. VolnTitan

VolnTitan Starter

There is no debate. The staff knows how to evaluate talent better than all of us combined. Period.

9. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

Whoa, ease up Rocky Top. Didn't you see the laughing smiley face?

But obviously, DeRon Jenkins was better than us fans thought, eh?:suspect:

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Prag...

You did read that steele report didn't you?

---------------------------------------------
    Several culturally based explanations of the black/white IQ differential have been proposed; some are plausible, but so far none has been conclusively supported. There is even less empirical support for a genetic interpretation. In short, no adequate explanation of the differential between the IQ means of blacks and whites is presently available," the report said.
    ---------------------------------------

Now what?

Despite those findings from his own study he still concludes that the tests are unfair somehow and even proposes a political solution. His theory has not been "conclusively supported" but that doesn't stop him.

Maybe you should write to these acedemic heros of yours and tell them to stop making up and administering these racist tests. Tell them that since these tests are racially or cultually unfair that they have no value. If the tests only serve to further negative sterotypes then why do they keep administering them?

And maybe we can just look at a person like vince young as an individual since it is he that might be a tennessee titan and not the whole black community.

Bottom line, if a test is unfair then don't use it. Using racist tests is racist. Right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar