Lockout Legal, but not for Rookies and FA's

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by 2ToneBlueBlood, Jul 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

Per multiple sources on Twitter and ESPN.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6748753

Apparently since rookies and FA's aren't employeed by a team or the NFL the lockout won't apply to them (as I understand it). However, Judge Nelson would have to greenlight that, which she will.

This is a little bit of good news for us because Jake could show up to the Titans facility and start working out and learning the playbook once this is greenlit. The bad news is the earlier ruling that the lockout should be lifted was overturned.

Thoughts?

2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

So if the lockout doesn't apply to FA's does that mean that teams would be able to start signing FA's and then if the lockout is still in place once they sign they would immediately be locked out, or would the signing of FA's still not be allowed?

It would be really nice if they could go ahead and start working with the rookies ASAP

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Owners could lose 30 billion in Sept if the players re open the antitrust case. i think this makes a deal even more urgent. i expect them to work all weekend on the deal and reach one in less than 7 days.

4. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

From what I understand, once this is greenlit, then you could start signing FA's and Rookies. But once they're signed they're locked out. The reason you aren't locked out is because you're not an employee of the team or the NFL when you're not under contract. Once you sign your name on the dotted line you are under contract and therefore an employee of both.

I think it makes sense NOT to sign rookies, so they can come in and work with coaches and start picking up the offense/defense. The other side to that is, what rookie would want to show up and work for free, plus walk into a facility that has told him he wasn't welcome since April?

5. jessestylex

they wouldnt take the locks off the stadium.

6. EdRomeo

EdRomeo Football Fan

Jake should be on the phone with Chris Palmer right now while driving to Baptist Sports Park.

And if the Munchak/Reinfeldt are all about winning they'll let him in.

• High Five High Five x 1
  7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

This crap needs to end.

8. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

any rookie that wanted to win above just getting some $$$s would jump at the chance to spend time with the coaches.

9. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

If this is the case, I get this image of the FO handing a contract through the BSP front gate and telling them to sign it, that way they don't have to walk them out the moment they finish signing. Then the rookie/FA starts to ask a question and the FO goes "shhhhhhhhhh". This s$%^ is f$%^ up!

10. jessestylex

if they started signing rookies, then the current negotiations would come to a halt and we wouldn't have football this year. neither side wants to screw up right now and make each other mad again. it's best to do nothing and get a deal done next week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar