List your three biggest mistakes with the 8th pick.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by HeadOnASwivel, Apr 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Drafting Gabbert would be a big mistake with our 8th pick.

Also, getting Quinn wouldn't make me jump for joy either.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

This is tough. I think it will be a mistake if we don't take defense, although I'd seriously consider AJ Green if he is there (and I HATE Georgia).

I don't want us to draft Cam, but I wouldn't be that upset if we do, and I know a lot of people would be. I've got to choose people that would realistically be drafted in the top 10 though...

1) Mallett
    2) Gabbert
    3) Prince Amakamura / Any offensive lineman.

I just don't like Mallett and think he won't mentally be able to handle the NFL. I don't want to say he will be the next Ryan Leaf, but he could be.

Gabbert I'm just not sold on. I won't be devastated but I hope he's not the guy we pick.

Prince doesn't seem impressive enough to me to take at #8. We need interior line, but I don't want us to draft anyone at 8, even if for some reason that were an OT (under the thought we would draft a OT and start him at guard his rookie and 2nd year).

3. Titanup1982

Titanup1982 All-Pro

Why do you hate Georgia, Alex1939?

4. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

1. Gabbert.
    2. Dareus.
    3. Newton or Quinn.

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

My list is more about getting guys who would not be enough of an impact for us or just a wild reach.

1. Locker(I have 5 Qbs i like better than him)
    2. Gabbert(reach)
    3. Miller(Needs to play in a system where he can rush the passer 75% of the time)

There are comparisons of Miller to Matthews but if we had drafted Matthews he would be a DE. You waste him on pass plays when he is not rushing the QB. Same for Miller.

As for JJ Watt playing in a 4-3? His cone time was better than Prince Amukamara and Jimmy Smith 2 top Cbs in this draft. He can play anywhere.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Miller as an OLB in our defense doesn't work. Using him in a role like the one that Bulluck played for so many years and the one Thornton played several seasons is wasting him.

His best attribute is rushing the passer! He needs to be rushing the passer almost every down!

So let's talk about him as an edge rusher. Great speed and athleticism yes but size can be an issue. Height is always a problem for guys under 6'3 because the average OT is about 6'5 315-325 lbs and can get leverage on a shorter guy. Remember this is the 8th pick!

As a pure edge rusher wouldn't we do better with a real DE prospect who is naturally bigger and would be rushing the passer every down?

Now somebody might bring up Moch who is similar in size to Miller with similar speed but is more like a third rd pick.

7. THE_TITAN

THE_TITAN Starter

The biggest three mistakes would be:

1. Gabbert or Newton. Lets put these two into one category because they will either both be gone or one will be gone by our pick. Gabbert was average in college but just because of his size and good arm strength people think he is an elite prospect, their just mistaken. Newton was basically a running back last year who made so many easy throws due to the fact that they had to blitz him so much. He has not shown enough in college as a true QB to merit a top 10 pick and thats just based on how he's played. His attitude and annoying character will put me off him on its own and imagine how big his ego will get with even more money. Stay away from both I say.

2. Prince Amukamara. There is a good chance he will be there at eight and it would be stupid for us to pick him. For one I think we could get several good trades on the table as options if he was there and secondly our cornerbacks are already pretty good. Granted we could probably do with one beng drafted in the later rounds to try and get Mouton of our roster, but we don't truly need one. Finnegan can be a pro bowl player when he gets his head in check and is a great leader. McCourty looks like the safe guy who won't make many plays but won't give up many plays either along with Verner who looks like our playmaking CB and he can only get better from his rookie season where he shined.

3. Da'Quan Bowers. I think he will drop to us and we really need to stay away from him. Granted he looks like a steal here if you watch his youtube videos but he has so much bad tape of him doing nothing which tells me he has an inconsistant motor. I would prefer Robert Quinn if we were going the DE route and even think we could trade back to get Quinn. Also, Bowers has massive concerns over his injuries and I don't want another Derrick Morgan season from our first round rookie. I'd stay away from him.

I'll give you three guys I do like at eighth overall:

1. Nick Fairley. I like him and think he will be a good pro. There are a lot less question marks over him to me coming to Nashville because we have his college defensive line coach in Tracy Rocker. If we get him then it means Rocker lobbied hard and gave the green light meaning he knows he'll be a good pro and how good he will be in the dressing room. I think the Haynesworth comparisons are just lazy, Nick Fairley is Nick Fairley not Albert Haynesworth and he will be his own player.

2. Von Miller. If he drops then i'd love to take him. He would be the fresh elite prospect linebacker we need. He would obviously get you sacks first and foremost but I also see lots of coverage ability we could get out of him and I think Frank Bush will see it too. My only problem with him is that he looks like he has thin legs which could be a problem if hes going to get bashed around but the medical at the combine would have sorted out those issues.

3. Robert Quinn. I put Quinn at number three because I think we could get him later on in the first round if we trade with someone like the Lions. I think he will be a great defensive end and is a lot safer than Bowers. I would also go as far as saying Quinn has a higher ceiling than Bowers and the sky is the limit for him. It was a shame he didn't play last year because I would've loved to see what he could've done coming into the draft but I would not be dissapointed with him at eighth overall.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Mcshay was talking up Blaine Gabbert a few minutes ago on espn. Gabbert had 16 Tds in 475 pass attempts but Newton who had 30 Tds in almost 200 fewer attempts is the less skilled guy? really?

Not one analyst brings that issue up. What a big yardage producer Newton was and his ability to get the ball down field. This in a draft with quite a few dink and dunk type guys.

For some reason dink and dunk passers are believed to be more accurate. Hell when your average completion is 8 yards.

How did Newton almost produce 11 yards an attempt and still complete 66% of his passes? How does that compute? It must mean he is good.

9. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

Yes. We get it, you like Cam Newton. Please start posting about something else.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. XO

XO Nevada Native

Most of Newton's long passes were off playaction with the WR wide open down the field. Teams stacked the box to take away Newton and two good running backs. I hope he could find an open receiver. There should have been a couple every play. He never went out once and carved a defense up with arm.
    When defenses took away his ability to run he often looked extremely average. See Oregon and Alabama.

I seriously do not get the hype around Newton. A one year wonder in a spread option offense with character issues galore is who you want in Nashville? Seems so familiar. Like we've been through this before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar