Linebackers situation is bleak

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TorontoTitanFan, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

FUPA is not offensive enough for me. I prefer the term "Gunt." Maybe I am just old School that way.

[​IMG]

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

Fokou is the biggest reason our run defense is so putrid. He can't get off blocks and he can't locate the ball carrier. McCarthy does both those things well. Fokou is a little more than serviceable, but giving him the gig even after McCarthy was healthy was a mistake.

I know McCarthy has this stigma of not being able to stay healthy, but I'm not sure that notion is so solid. It's concerning to be sure, but who wouldn't have been hurt on the plays he got hurt? When an offensive lineman dives into the back of your knee, there's a good chance you're going to get hurt. I'm hoping he's more like Vanden Bosch and can now go on to play healthy, and not like Sirmon who had some talent but couldn't stay on the field.

4. Psychop1

Psychop1 Big Tee

I have a premium PFF account. No, they do not rank him as one of the worst 4-3 outside linebackers in the league. In fact, they rank him as the second best pass rushing 4-3 outside linebacker in the league. 4th best in tackling efficiency. 9th best run stopper. 8th best in coverage.

• High Five High Five x 2
  5. fonzerrillii23

fonzerrillii23 Starter

Thank you... I just about to call him out on that as well. This coaching staff is killing me... For example... It is obvious that Verner excels in zone coverage, but struggles in Man to Man, but yet instead of creating a defense that uses that as an advantage they used the entire off season on Tommie Campbell.

6. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

So do I and the data I'm seeing doesn't support this.

Brown grades out negatively in coverage and run support, and slightly positively as a pass rusher. His overall grade is among the worst in the league, which is exactly what I said.

EDIT: I do see the stats you refer to. Weird discrepancy.

Here's a screenshot so everyone can see.
    [​IMG]

I mean that's pretty obvious, right?

7. TorontoTitanFan

Do it. "Call me out." Don't wait for others to do your work.

8. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I agree. But I definitely put those other 3 positions you listed as higher priority.

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

So Ayers is now a top 10 OLB?

Remember when I said that PFF can be used to argue anything?

Yea, thats all I need to say the entire argument is bull****. PFF destroys everything it tries to do by being too informative.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. TorontoTitanFan

I agree that PFF's "signature stats" like pass rushing productivity are less reliable and rely on formulas that can produce misleading data.

Simply grading every play as a positive or negative is more of a concrete thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar