Let's compare AFC South picks.

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Deuce Wayne, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

Jerry Rice.

2. wplatham

I honestly feel like you are letting your bitterness about our draft cloud your view of the rest of AFC South's drafts.

Everybody wants to talk about how they've never heard of the Titans' picks. But I look at the rest of the division and there are few I recognize. The only one of the Colt's picks I know of is Phillip Wheeler. And he was a third rounder. They also managed to take THREE centers. Overkill. The Jags do have the best looking draft right now, but thats just because of the publicity of their picks. The two ends are boom or bust. As for Houston, I'm glad to see they are doing everything they can to hold down that 4 spot in the division. Everybody whines about us reaching, but Houston took a guy rated in the 3rd round with their first pick. I still believe they wanted one of the four runningbacks. So +1 to Tennessee for burning the Texans.

I won't go as far as to say our draft is better or worse than anybody else's. I still stand by the fact that pre-draft opinions of players mean nothing. But to say our draft looks any worse than the rest of the division is both premature and unfounded.

3. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Not true. Alex Gibbs only gave a seal of approval on 4 tackles that were worthy of a first day pick. Brown being the 4th. We could have taken Otah or Baker at 18, but they didnt FIT our system for the pure zone blocking scheme Gibbs will implement. We were able to trade back, get extra picks (RB Slaton)... and STILL get our guy at 26. The Chargers were set to take Brown with the very next pick. I heard other teams were high on him as well. We rolled the dice, and it payed off. I think the next true tackle prospect wasnt taken until 65. Just an FYI.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports...8chargers.html

And with the following picks from the two drafts under this new regime... its hard to really doubt them at this point. We shall see.

Demeco Ryans - steal of 2006 second round/would have been a top pick in do over
    Owen Daniels - 6th in receptions among TEs in NFL last year. 4th round pick!
    Fred Bennett - starting CB from 4th round...lots of promise
    Brandon Frye - nothing too special at all, but provides depth
    Amobi Okoye - 5.5 sacks as DT as rookie and extremely young and huge upside
    Eric Winston - 3rd round pick solidifies RT for years to come
    David Anderson - 7th round good contributor as WR
    Charles Spencer - 3rd round steal and was Kubiaks favorite pick as he locked up LT before getting hurt (SUCKS).
    Jacoby Jones - great talent at WR, had great camp,etc and assures great depth at one of strongest units on the team
    Kasey Studdard - late round pick now moving up depth charts for O-line
    Mario Williams - 3rd in NFL in sacks last year and huge agains the run
    Zach Diles - Texans LOVE him. 7th round pick who may start this season.

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I fixed it for you.

Guys who have contributed not COULD contribute.

5. wplatham

I don't have any problem with the pick myself. I was just making the point that so many said we reached for Chris Johnson, and I don't think he would've fell very much farther, just like yall think the same about Brown.

I've gotta ask, do yall have a bunch of people that cry about everything? Did any of yalls fans take up a new favorite team after the draft? We had a few claim they weren't Titans fans any more. I'm just curious if yall get the same kinda stuff.

6. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Eric Winston is our starting right tackle and a good one at that.

Fred Bennett is our starting CB now, and came along very well. Just won the team award for rookie of the year over Okoye... led the team in interceptions (not many), but still very productive considering he was a 4th rounder.

When speaking of 7th round picks in LB Zach Diles (coaches are very high on), and WR Anderson (some big catches last year in a crowded WR unit)... it has to be a relative point of view considering where they were picked. Zach Diles could very well be a good LB, and I am speaking on the feedback from the coaching staff in that he has everything it takes, just needs experience. Will probably start this year at some point.

Even if you really want to get super picky, the results from our drafts have been positive THUS FAR across the board under the new regime. Its hard to dispute that even from a non homer point of view.

7. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

If you go and read our draft thread on our boards... it was like the sky was falling for sure. Once most sat back and really absorbed the possible impact of a LT thats a perfect fit in the Alex Gibbs system, they started to accept it. What you get, and what most fans dont get is that its wise to draft according to what works for what the team is trying to do. New England does it, and they are famous for off the wall picks and I see its working out for them quite well. Just because the mock draft "experts" dont agree with picks on that day means absolutely nothing for the future. I learned that in the Mario Williams draft. That draft turned out to be one of the best in the league IMO so far, and it was highly scrutinized.

I hate that yall got Johnson... as its going to be just another home run threat to try and contain when you already have the Vince Young threat to monitor. Hopefully you guys will have your own problems trying to contain Steve Slaton who hopefully should be a great 3rd down pass catching homerun threat under Alex Gibbs pure Zone Blocking scheme.

8. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

If i'm not mistaken casserly was still there in the mario williams draft correct?

9. Texxan

Texxan Camp Fodder

Absolutely. I should have been more clear... should have stated that Kubiak was the new part of the regime in place for that draft. When you compare the previous 4 drafts under Casserly and Capers, then the one immediately when Kubiak showed up.... pretty different results. If I do remember correctly, Kubiak was one of the main drivers in making a push for Mario after watching his film over and over.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Do you have any of the first round picks Casserly made aside from Andre Johnson? Some terrible picks there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar