League Conduct Policy Appears Arbitrary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

My contention is that the policy is arbitrary in construct and administration. Do you really think the "NFL investigation" is/has uncovered anything different than the FBI's? Do you think that Goodell is "allowing the facts to emerge" before he administers the punishment?

Ask yourself this: How does a plea bargain effect the facts in any way? Admission of guilt? The investigation conducted should have already concluded he was guilty and the punishment should have been administered. Because -remember- it is NOT about criminal guilt or innocence but rather- WHETHER THE LEAGUE CONDUCT POLICY HAS BEEN VIOLATED!!!! And clearly, nobody can deny that Vick has violated the league conduct policy as per standards and precedent Goodell created in his handling of Pac.

So, it is not about "re-habbing" Pac. (Personally, I agree that it is a lost cause to "change" him) Goodell couldn't give a crap about that anyway. It is and always has been about protecting money under the public ruse of protecting the image. Vick means a huge financial loss to the Atlanta franchise and the NFL. He WILL be treated differently. The alleged acts are far worse than the alleged acts that Pac's 1 year suspension were based are (go look them up- there are only 2 now that are remaining). Vick should have been in Goodell's office in June and SUSPENDED then. As it stands, he is still on the payroll.

This policy makes a mockery of civil procedure. And that is why I keep raising this issue

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Its not like Goodell suspended Pac immediately either. What does it matter if Vick is suspended today, or a month from now? He will obviously be suspended, so not sure why you still consider it so unfair compared to Pac.

3. Riverman

3 reasons:

1) Nothing has happened yet
    2) Vick has clearly violated the league conduct policy
    3) IMO Goodell is stalling simply to guage how much leniency he can get away with to protect the money.

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

With all due respect, your opinion is nothing more than that. You have no idea why he hasnt done anything yet. I suspect he is waiting for the plea deal to come down, and then make his decision. I see nothing wrong with that. The whole Pac ordeal took at least 2 months before anything was handed down to Pac. Goodell's pattern has been to wait it out. He did that with Pac, Henry, and Tank. So again, not sure why you are so disappointed in that nothing has happened to Vick yet. If he gets suspended tomorrow, or next month, it will still be the same suspension.

5. Riverman

Of course it is my opinion, I stated that clearly. It strikes me particularly odd that Goodell and the league need so much time "to get it right". What is left to discover? He HAS clearly violated the league conduct policy whether he is guilty or not of dog-fighting.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I can see the nfl strategy more clearly now thanks to ESPN. It makes sense.

By suspending him early, the nfl actually would have put Vick at an advantage and the legal system at a disadvantage. Strategically, it was beneficial for the nfl to wait. They may actually suspend him for more time than the term of prison service in the end. I understand now why they did it. In Vicks case, it clearly would have given Vick more control over the situation as he decides on the plea.

7. Riverman

True, but in the precedent that Goodell established, he maximized the punishment he wanted with conditions to reduce it. Why doesn't he just give Vick a 2 year suspension for example with conditions to reduce it?

8. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

But what does it matter? WE all know he wont be playing this year. So why are you so concerned that the suspension be issued already? Why not wait until the we know the terms of the plea bargain (assuming there will be on) and see exactly what he is charged with before suspending him? I honestly just dont see the issue with this.

9. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

What if he is in prison for 2 years? How could he possibly satisfy any conditions under those circumstances? It makes perfect sense to wait IMO.

10. zackmann

zackmann Guest

at the very least, i think Goodell could come out and say:

"Mike Vick will be punished severly under the Player's Conduct Policy. Although his exact punishment will not be determined until some of the legal process has been completed, it is safe to say that he will not be playing in the NFL this year and could face a lifetime ban."

in all, i agree with riverman on most of his opinions here...

and if it matters, i think ESPN is framing the case in favor of Vick most of the time (or at least Len P is)......

dogfighting is the lesser of the crimes here in the view of the NFL.....associating with a gambling enterprise is clearly the biggest elephant in the room....though ESPN likes to forget about the gambling charges....

and let's also not forget the state charges that could be coming down too....the 2 guys today that plead, signed statements that they AND VICK killed 8 dogs in the month of april...according to PFT that could be up to 40 years in prison under virgina state law....

i agree the league conduct policy looks arbitrary. i also agree goodell shouldn't do anything to compromise the legal proceeding....however, the manner in which the NFL is sitting on their hands gives the apperance that they would like to take it easy on Vick, when in reality they should take a harder stance and make it clear his NFL playing days are most likely done...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar