League Conduct Policy Appears Arbitrary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Guilty plea on Vick's property. How much more "fact-finding" do Goodell's goons have to do to pull the rip-chord?

2. zackmann

zackmann Guest

innocent until proven guilty is between a US citizen and the US government...

it has nothing to do with an employer and their employees...

Nike should immediately drop Vick...and the NFL should suspend him for at least a year...

3. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

http://thesportsbizblog.blogspot.com/2007/07/vicks-endorsements-disappear.html

The court of public opinion works substantially faster than even the rocket docket of the US District Court in Richmond Virginia. Yesterday, Nike announced that it was suspending Vick's endorsement contract without pay and that it was stopping sales of all Vick related merchandise at company owned stores. Then to add insult to injury, Reebok pulled his jersey from circulation.

4. Riverman

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2977272&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

"We're going to do what we always said we were going to do, which is rely on the facts," Goodell said. "If there is some type of a plea agreement, then we will obviously take the time to understand what that plea is and we'll see how it fits into our personal conduct [policy]."

If he is relying on the facts, what the hell does Vick's plea have anything to do with violation of the policy. Either the facts suggest he is guilty or he admits he is guilty-same difference. Goodell is looking for any excuse (plea= some degree of forgiveness by the league??).

There is really no sensible reason to delay the inevitable. It is arbitrary not to do so.

5. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Because even though Goodell can suspend Vick for just being brought up on these charges, he can make the penalty much more severe if Vick pleads GUILTY to the charges. I don't understand why are you in such a rush about this. He's not playing now, and there is no chance he will play this season at all. It just remains to be seen if he will ever play in NFL again.

6. Riverman

Because he hasn't been suspended- just ordered not to report to work. Goodell could clearly lay out 1 year sentence with conditions like he did for Pac.

The evidence against Pac is much thinner than that against Vick and it appears with each day the case against Pac is getting weaker. The one year suspension against Pac was excessive and the lack of the same method of evaluation against Vick is arbitrary. I'm just calling a spade a spade. Somebody has to keep pointing out to Titans fans that one of our players was treated arbitrarily by the league.

7. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

Vick would probably be glad if that is all that is going to happen over this. There is no reason for Goodell to hand out a sentence, then have to increase it later once more facts come out.

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I am not going to debate Pac with you. I believe it is obvious to most on this forum where this kid is headed, and as someone posted, he is just not right in the head. He has 10 weeks to get back in the good graces of the NFL, so you believe so far he has used them wisely?

9. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

I am not so much concerned with what becomes of other players, even if Pac was treated unfairly. My contention is that Pac deserved the punishment that he got, and it is really the only chance he has to get his head on straight, I'm afraid. God willing, he can come back at the end of the year and help us make the playoffs so that maybe his stock will be high enough to fetch a trade.

Ask yourself this: what if Goodell decides that his new policy cannot be enforced with the same standard that has been applied to Pac and that he should rescind his suspension until he is convicted? What then? How long do you think it will be before Pac is back in trouble again? I say let him sit without pay and let's see if he really wants that million dollar lifestyle.

10. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

That notwithstanding, Vick should be getting a 1 year suspension at the very least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar