League Conduct Policy Appears Arbitrary

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Jul 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

:ha: :ha:

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Ok, so you want Goodell to come out right now and suspend Vick for the 07 season. Then guess what Vick does? He tries to plea to a short prison term that would go from this fall until the end of next summer. Then guess what? Vick would be in training camp next season. Goodell doesnt want that. He wants his prison term to take place in a different time period than his league suspension. Thats why Goodell has to wait to see when Vick's suspension should take place. It isnt that hard to see, I promise you.

3. Riverman

Why would Goodell want that for Vick and not for Pac?

And a couple of other things:

1. Prison terms don't occur until after somebody admits to or is found guilty
    2. They don't occur immediately after #1
    3. Prisoners often serve less time than they are sentenced.

So this "not concurrent" legal and league punishment line of logic is a load of crap. It is simply another "stall tactic" by the commissioner.

Goodell set the precedent. Give an exceptionally and maximum suspension with the ability to reduce it if conditions are met. He could have (and obviously IMO should have for precedent reasons) moved a LONG time ago to suspend Vick for at least 1 year with conditions to extend or reduce).

4. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Nevermind. Its all a big conspiracy and against Pac man and the Titans, youve convinced me.

5. Riverman

Sorry you see it that way. I just see the policy as being arbitrarily administered.

6. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Because Vick and Pacman are different people with different situations and Goodell is taking action on a person to person basis. Vick's situation requires different attention and action than Pacman's.

If, somehow, Vick doesn't get suspended at all, then I think a lot of people, more than just Titans fans, are going to argue about how unfair the suspensions have been. But people that can actually make a difference (owners of the teams) would take action then.

If Vick gets a fair suspension, then I don't think anyone is going to care about the arbitrary nature of Goodell's rulings.

To this point, I am not bothered by the way Goodell has enforced the league conduct policy.

Think about this... two people go to court for an exactly similar crime, and each receives entirely different punishment. Not a very fair legal system, maybe due to arbitrary judges?

Life isn't very fair in general, and as commish of the NFL it's gotta be tough to make everyone happy and come across as completely fair and unbiased.

I'm wondering what would need to happen for you to view the conduct policy as fair and equal?

I'm guessing no matter what changes were made, someone could make an argument that the policy remains arbitrary and biased. I say this simply because it's hard to write a document that is going to spell out exactly what needs to happen in every situation regardless of circumstance.

7. Riverman

Read the previous pages and you'll see where I'm coming from. Each of your points have been addressed repeatedly.

Now that Vick has taken the plea deal, let's see where (and how long) the league goes with this. Shouldn't take more than a day.

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

I think this plays out like the Tank case. Vick is suspended indefinitely and can apply for re-instatement after he is released from jail. At that time, I would imagine the commisioner will either extend his suspension for a defined time or dismiss his application for re-instatement.

Vick is done.

9. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

You must have this week in your office pool. Are you emailing Goodell too? It will take longer than a day, as there are other ramifications to this. You do realize that there is talk that other NFL players are involved? Vick is NOT going to play in the NFL this year period. You are beating this to death because you don't agree with the policy that the NFL has set forth. Goodell did not write this policy, it has been in place long before he took over. He has upped the ante, but it's been around since 2000. These are judgement calls, and there is no "you did this so you get that" policy statement. Each case is handled on its own merit. NASCAR fines and suspends crew chiefs thousands of dollars, yet they have broken no law on the books, only NASCAR rules. Try and see it in that vein. Now if a NASCAR driver, crew chief, etc is arrested for something outside of racing, then it really gets serious. If a driver gets a DUI, he is suspended for an entire year, and subject to being banned permanently. You have got to stop seeing the court of law tied to rules set forth by an organization. Just as in Pac's case, they look at the violation, the number of warnings, etc. before punishment is handed down.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

It should take however long Goodell wants it to take. You do realize that the season is about to start, and he has a lot more on his plate than just dealing with Vick right? In saying that, I suspect we will hear something by the end of the week.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar