Lattimore v Foster -- Draft Ward Rd. 2

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by The Hammer, Apr 19, 2017.

?
  1. Marshawn Lattimore

30 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. Ruben Foster

15 vote(s)
    33.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

You keep saying Foster is slow in the run game. I don't see it, and I've watched every game he's played. I'm not against Lattimore, but it seems like you are being unfairly critical of Foster when similar arguments can be used for all players from elite college teams. Every ilb needs help up front to make plays. In the NFL, too. It wouldn't matter who we put at ilb, if the d line doesn't hold up the o line, the linebackers are at a serious disadvantage.

Watch Foster vs. Cunningham and Reddick. There is a clear difference in ability to diagnose and finish.

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

If you mean slow to read inside runs sometimes, yes...he is. Not all the time. But that false step here and there or just waiting for a second til he sees where the ball is declared doesn't hurt him on Bama's D. That would hurt our D in the NFL for him to let an OG engage him 5 yards off the LOS. If an OL can run 3-5 yards out to a ILB starting 5-7 yards off the LOS, you don't have great instincts. Foster is much better at outside plays where they declare immediately and he can just explode down the line or thru a gap.

Cunningham didn't have any help in terms of protection or much around him to help him so he has to fight thru a lot more blocking and trash than Forster did. Reddick played DE so not too comparable in the same way.

Point is, if you can protect Foster and have an excellent NT to clog up the middle so Foster can read and react and get there...fine. But Cunningham would be a LOT better than his college tape if you gave him the same kind of protection. Reddick too. But we don't play a two gap 3-4 front. We play a one gap so less protection which is why JRob is more gungho on big and fast and strong!

How much do you think the failed drug test will hurt him? Does this ramp up the fears about his immaturity or do you think he's so good on the field teams won't worry about it too much?

3. Tuckfro42

It might hurt a little, but I think he is elite and teams think that too.

I still think you are being overly harsh on Foster. Those false steps helped him diagnose plays. And his speed to the ball makes up for that.

Sure, Cunningham didn't have the line Foster did. But, Cunningham missed easy tackles on a regular basis. There is no violence in his game. Reddick will have a tough time transitioning inside.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Me pointing out something most fans ignore is not being overly harsh, just a fact. It doesn't make him a bad player. He IS an elite player, but not someone I would take at 5.

There are gonna be a lot of players going all over the place due to so many medical issues, character issues, blah blah blah. If you get Lattimore or John Ross early and they stay healthy, you probably hit a home run. If you get Foster at 18 and he stays clean on and off the field and his immaturity issues don't keep him off the field, we probably hit a home run. But take a medical risk and it blows up, it will be a 'busted' pick. Take Foster and he gets busted for another drug test and loses games of playing time...you get the idea.

At this point, Foster falls into the boom or bust category. We still might take him...but certainly not at 5 unless the Titans love him and have a plan for him and believe he's telling the absolute truth regarding the 'failed' test.

Being sick and dehydrated and drinking too much seems to be the go to response for a diluted test. No idea if he's being truthful or not, but I'm sure teams are going to investigate this claim. If he just made another stupid decision, it might not hurt him too much.

Why do you think Reddick would have trouble transitioning inside? He looked smooth playing inside at the Senior Bowl and that's just one week of limited practice.

I agree Cunningham has cleaning up to do in his tackling, but there is no denying he's a tackling machine with very good instincts and shows flashes of coverage ability though he played almost all zone in pass D.

What do you think of Jarad Davis?

5. Tuckfro42

Davis, Cunningham, and Reddick are in the same tier in my mind. They should be solid starters in the NFL. But, none will be All Pros. Foster is a perineal All Pro in my mind.

And, any "elite" player should be considered in the top five. I don't think Foster will be a top five pick, but he should be. He's a heck of a lot better pick than Thomas, Fournette, Howard, or any receiver.

6. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

You're willing to bet that Foster is basically Luke Keuchly?

7. Tuckfro42

I'm willing to bet that Foster is Patrick Willis.

8. CalgaryTitansFan

CalgaryTitansFan Pro Bowler

Reading a play is something that can come while learning the NFL game, and being surrounded by some great LB’s and DL guys who are already on the Titans roster. I also thought I read that Foster was very strong in coverage.

Regardless, even though I picked Foster, I wouldn’t be upset at all with Lattimore being the pick. Hell, in an ideal world we take Lattimore at #5, and Foster drops a bit due to a number of thing that have come up and we get him at #18. Doubt it happens, but that would be incredible IMO. Means we wouldn’t get Corey Davis though, so I’d be a little sad lol.

9. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Foster is the clear cut best LB in this draft...No questions asked...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar