Late Rnd Sleeper Howard Jones

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Titans2004, Mar 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

I always like trying to find a sleeper in the draft. Can't say that I'm ever very successful at it. I usually try to look at the combine numbers and find a guy who has outstanding numbers and then compare to see how he looks on film and what his college stats were. Well my sleeper pick this draft is Howard Jones from Shepherd University.

He is 6'4" and 235 lbs. He played DE in college (both sides), but in the pros I think he will be a rush OLber in a 3-4 scheme. He has very long arms at at 34 1/8inches. For pass rushers I like to look at the 10 yd split time because that gives you an idea about their burst off the line and Jones had a 1.58 10yd split. Anything below 1.60 is very good. Clowney had a 1.56. Jones' 40 yd time was 4.60. He did 21 reps on the bench press. He has a very explosive core with a verticle jump of 40.5inches and a broad jump of 10'4". His 3 cone time was better than Clowney at 7.16. The guy is certainly an athlete.

In college he had 69.5 TFL and 35 sacks. Nice production.

The film that I have seen of him shows a guy who does a nice job of doing his assignment. They play a bunch of read option teams and as the DE he stays home and doesn't get sucked inside by the fake handoff. When he knows the ball has been handed off he collapses inside to make the play. He is certainly raw and shows no spin move in his repetoire of pass moves. He does use the speed rush, swim move, and even a bull rush move to get pressure on the QB.

He is not the ideal size, but Dumerville, Harrison, and Freeney have shown that you don't have to be huge to be effective. I'll keep my eye on this kid.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar