Landon Donovan embodies the modern international sports superstar

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by World Peace, Jun 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

They just need to rename this the Landon Cup in South Donovan 2010

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

I hope this is a life changing event for him, because to be honest with you, I think most people see him as a big ego who has completely dissappeared in big matches ( even this one). I was happy for him though. I think this might even make him a better person. But you will notice that he says "I" a lot and he seems to have a bit of arrogance when he talks. That's just my perception. And nothing against people who get divorced, but I think that is just another clue as to his sharp personality. He's bit of a blunt edge. I don't think he's a bad person. I just think he's a bit sharp and personally egotistic. And I think a lot of people would share ithat view. I liken that a bit to most physicians, who must have a big ego to get through medical school, and perhaps that is the cost of success. No matter, the fact that he put the ball in the net when nobody else could gains him a lot of bonus points with me, inspite of the fact he was non-existent the rest of the match. I hope this makes him a happier person in general because I would like him to be a hero we can admire, and not just put up with.

Go usa! And May Landon find the bottom of the net Saturday.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Without a car accident- this thread would be about Charlie Davies.

:)

4. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

He scored one big goal that basically fell into his lap. That doesn't exactly make him a superstar.

Don't get me wrong, I really wanted the U.S. to win. I was cheering when the goal was scored. Since Canada never makes the World Cup, the U.S. is my team. I just think it's a little premature to start riding Donovan's jock. This was probably the biggest moment of his career and I doubt he ever does anything this big again.

He's 28 and just about to be over the hill in soccer terms. He plays in a league that no one cares about. He's probably never going to be close to a superstar on a global scale.

And I have to agree that Altidore has been invisible out there. That dude needs to show up if this team is going to get wins in the knockout stages of this tournament.

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

That game was tough to watch. The entire time I'm thinking "when will they score" so much back and forth with no goals. Then when Donovan scored I was like "oh okay!". I did NOT expect that goal to be scored like that. But it was enough to get it done, and move on to this weekend. Now I'm actually excited about soccer.

6. World Peace

Landon Donovan had an exclusive interview on the Rachel Maddow show last night

7. highstep

highstep Camp Fodder

Donovan is a solid player and the best on team USA but he's far from a world super star. He doesn't come across as egotistical to me, he seems pretty average.

8. World Peace

This also serves as a prediction thread.. When its tied 2-2 in the 89th minute of the world cup final and its US against Spain (or whoever) and Landon scores the GW goal to lift his name into FUTBOL immortality.

People will say.. "Pele who?"

9. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

That game was a great example of a very intense, exciting, fun to watch soccer game without any scoring. (until the end)

10. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

whoa whoa... I agreed with everything else, but I'd say the Premier League is about as high as it gets when it comes to leagues. (loaned there)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar