Keep Volek and not McNair?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titansrule, Jan 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Where is everyone getting this idea McNair has been "schooling" Young. Just because he occasionally talks on the phone to him isn't like he is actually coaching him.
    I see more potential problems with these guys kissing and hugging all the time. Where will the love be when the coaches need to sit McNair's arse on the bench and let Young play? I certainly don't want to drag out getting our new QB on the field into a three year project while we sufer through poor QB play all that time. No matter which QB we draft I want to see them on the field in year 2. There is not one person on this board that will be happy about sitting Young or Leinhart very long. Of course McNair will get dinged and open the door for them to play some. After all MCNair will miss 75% of his practices anyway so they should be ready to step in at any time. Believe me, unless we are winning alot of games with McNair we will be chomping at the bit to see whoever we draft play.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

McNair is pretty average also. If we do indeed draft a QB I would trade Volek for a 3rd round pick and be done with it. Not a slam on Volek but it is obvious we are going to keep McNair for a couple of years while we develop his successor. Volek had his chance at that job and because he didn't out play McNair or stay healthy he lost out.

3. super_titan

super_titan Camp Fodder

I keep hearing people say "Trade Volek for a 3rd" but I say can we get a 3rd for him?

4. IndyTitan

IndyTitan So Peter...

Before the 2005 season, I would say YES. After the 2005 season, I would say NO. We did not take advantage of his value before the season began. That is understandable in needing a decent backup QB for the 2005 season for an injury prone QB like McNair.

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

Volek isn't even the back-up QB of the future. I can't see us getting a third round pick out of him. Why would a team give that much up for an unproven (or proven that he can't get it done in this case) QB... I think people are putting a lot of stock in some meaningless games from last year that , don't forget, we got our asses handed to us in.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Keep volek dump mcnair?

McNair is not at the point in his career where he can take a young team on his back and take them to the Super Bowl.
    -------------------------------

But billy volek can take a young team on his back? Volek is injury prone. He played one game a couple of years ago and suffered season ending injuries. He couldn't finish the only game he started this season. He is fumble prone with 3 fumbles this year in little playing time. At 30 he will not get any better. He is a backup and nothing but.

The issue isn't whether we keep volek as a starter. Getting rid of mcnair does have some advantages however. If the titans simply released mcnair they save $13mm on the cap which opens up the possibility of bringing in another veteran starter and saving some cash to boot. An aaron brooks for example. Not better than mcnair maybe not as good either but younger.

Look i just watched a mort report on espn. He said that the texans will take bush first. It's almost certain the saints will take lienart which is ideal given the possibility of an LA move. He also said that it is "highly likely" that young does come out. The writing is on the wall guys. Volek out, young in and mcnair to be our starter until young is ready. Young calls the guy papa for crying out loud. Not that is respect!

7. titansrule

titansrule Camp Fodder

I don't think there is any quarterback in the NFL who could take the current Titans to the superbowl. What is important is how the team looks in 2008ish - personnel wise and salary cap wise.

8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

2008ish! (damn, there's no "smiley" that's shooting himself in the head)

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Last year, and still during this year when Pennington went down, a first or second was not completely out of the question. Now, a second or third is still reasonable. Regardless of this season, Volek is still considered an "elite backup" along with Schaub and whomever else. He's more seasoned than Simms, McCown, etc etc. A third is reasonable, and we won't go lower. That's not having rose-colored shades about his capability.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Vince has been to McNairs camps as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar