Justin Fields as a Titan?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Jan 23, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Not sure I get the “history of running QBs”. McNair was but also developed an ability to throw from the pocket. VY was, did NOT develop an ability to throw and was terrible draft pick to begin with.

Was Locker or Mariota a “running QB”? I don’t think so but i suppose debatable. I’d said THill is not, Collins 100% couldn’t run to save his life, Volek wasn’t, mettenerger wasn’t, Hasselbeck/Fitzpatrick weren’t.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Prof_Plum

Prof_Plum Starter

No friggin' way the Bears would have any interest in Dupree or Cunningham. With over $100 mil to spend, they'd like to sign a big impact pass rusher or 3-technique d-lineman (e.g. D Payne). Fill the other spot in the draft (Anderson/Carter). And they really like Fields, expecting him to become a much better passer once they improve the o-line (FA signing) and receiving corp. In Poles' (GM) own words he said he'd have to be "blown away" by a QB prospect before he'd consider trading Fields. B Young isn't that guy. Most Bear pundits (and fans) have them trading #1 to Indy for a haul. At #4, they pick whomever Ari doesn't pick between Anderson/Carter.

#42 Prof_Plum, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  3. Prof_Plum

Prof_Plum Starter

No. Bears didn't trade Roquan because he had no interest in staying. They traded him because during contract negotiations it was clear he wanted more money (e.g. $20mil) than Poles (GM) thought he was worth in the current Bears defensive scheme. R Smith was a team and fan favorite. His and Quinn's leaving had a negative effect in the lockerroom. The Ravens have a different D scheme where R Smith can play to his strengths (Will vs Mike LBs). Bears plugged an undrafted rookie (J Sanborn) into Smith's spot and Sanborn put up as good, if not better, stats than Smith did in that same LB spot.

#43 Prof_Plum, Jan 24, 2023
  4. Carp

Carp Starter

Dude... He's way better than Willis. Fields is basically another Lamar Jackson. Now you might feel they are overrated but they aren't bad QBs at all.

If anything, I don't want a QB like Lamar or Fields because I think their play style will keep them injured for multiple games every year.

5. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

McNair, Young and Mariota were all running QB’s.

6. Carp

Carp Starter

Fields had over 3800 total yards, 25 Total TDs compared to only 13 TOs, 60% pass completion, 54.0 QBR (16th in the NFL).

And he did all that with absolute trash at his skill positions.

He is absolutely NOT a bad QB. How good he is up for debate. But there is no debate that he is an NFL caliber starting QB.

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. Mitch86

Mitch86 Pro Bowler

2200 yards passing, 17 TDs 11 INTs doesn't scream NFL caliber starting QB. Very much up for debate considering he's a second year player and those arent exactly outstanding passing stats.

1500+ rushing yards screams NFL running back though.

Time will tell but so far, his running ability has outshined his ability to play QB (passing the ball).

8. Carp

Carp Starter

Rushing for a QB plays a part in today's NFL. This isn't the 90's anymore where your typical QB was a slow white guy that was a statue. Now, you see more and more QBs like Fields, Lamar, and Hurts finding success without being prolific passers.

The Bears were 19th in plays inside the Red Zone. And they were 23rd in scoring offense. And this was with Fields providing 90% of the offense because their skills players were ****.

He is absolutely a NFL caliber QB.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Hasnt Tannehill gone as far and further than Fields and Lamar?

#49 Rwill, Jan 24, 2023
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I agree it’s a PART. 1500 yards is more than part of his game.

I’d gladly take, and even prefer, a QB that runs for 300 yards but can throw.

and for your examples, Stafford, Burrow, Brady definitely don’t fit the mold of this new age running.

I’ll give some benefit to Fields, not an ideal team to throw on last year.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar