Just preordered the HTC Evo

Discussion in 'Gear' started by GLinks, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yeah yeah, I know...crappy 'ol Sprint network. But finally, after all these years, for once, Sprint will have the greatest phone in all of wiredom. Arguably, at least, until the new iPhone comes out.

Until then, the Evo is definitely the iPhone killer. Had to put a $50 deposit down at my neighborhood Best Buy (and they give you a gift card for it), and you're set. They call when it arrives.

I haven't upgraded in a few years, literally 3 1/2. I went in to compare it and the Hero. No contest, and that goes for the N1 as well.

8 MP camera. 1.3MP camera that does video and 720p HD, to boot. Wireless hotspot for up to 8 devices. 1GHz Snapdragon processor. 4.3" HD screen. HDMI out to stream HD to your TV, and a nice little kickstand to park the phone so you don't have to hold it up.

I figured the next phone I get should leave me wanting for nothing for a while, and I think this is going to fit that bill nicely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X07GjKjF5TY&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51iNmmXYozI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG8nXviyG44

2. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I like the look, but if you can't give me Google apps you get nada.

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

HTC is great. I probably wont use another phone until they disappoint me.

iPhone has had equivalents for years, but there wont be a 'killer' because they market so well. That's all the iPhone is. Another smart-phone marketed better than any other. Make it cute, and they'll come.
    After all... will you really use 99% of the apps they advertise? Most are silly 2nd grade nonsense.

4. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Uhh...you see the Google insignia in the first picture, on the back, right?

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Update: I've had this phone two weeks now, and it's amazing. Frequent phone upgraders and iPhone owners alike are suitably impressed. The 1GHz processor makes a big difference, IMO.

I say "frequent" by comparison to myself, who has not upgraded in the last...oh, almost four years now. I thought about it, but something about every "smart" phone thus far made it seem more like "good idea, needs some work." This phone is worth the buy if you're not getting the next iPhone.

Reasons: The screen is finally big enough, which sounds odd, for cell phones of old time's sake, but for something that is multiuseful, I think it's really what you want. Crystal clear HD quality, HDMI out. Nice, soft touch touchscreen. The keyboard works pretty darn well once you get used to it, which, in my case, for reasons stated above, took about two days. To type, that is. Navigation across the home screens is a breeze. Internet viewing on the go is practical. Since you can blow things up with a gesture, anything can be made a comfortable reading size quickly. E-mail, RSS, the message board, whatever.

Then of course you have the apps, of which I'm still just scratching the surface.

Anyway, the best part is that there is very little waiting at all across a wide variety of useful functions. I have a bunch of playlists from my iPod and Zune and about 5 movies stacked into it as well, and that's on the standard 8GB storage. I'll upgrade to the 32GB card when I have the need.

The camera, video camera, and web/phone camera work pretty well for non-dedicated items. Have to charge the battery on the go if you do a solid day's worth of stuff. Sorted voicemail at a touch with instant skip/FF/REW is a nice and long overdue convenience. Better than expected voice dial, google voice search, digital recorder are a few more highlights.

It definitely makes a blackberry look like a stone in comparison. I made sure my wife got the top of the line phone, up until now. "It's Daddy's turn," I said when she suggested I let her activate it on her line. She shot a dark look almost every time I had it out for the first week. Things have only recently started to normalize, from that angle. As an aside, we celebrated nine years of marriage this past week. As another aside, "Get Him to the Greek" was surprisingly hilarious.

Nice phone, though.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

what's wrong with Sprint's network?
    better than At&t imo

7. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Does it ring and make calls? :wink2:

8. sincewarrenmoon

sincewarrenmoon Camp Fodder

I have the HTC Hero which is great, but I can't wait until Sprint lets me upgrade at a discount to the EVO, EVO 2 or whatever's better next year! My Sprint service is fine, way better than AT&T or T-Mobile (which I had for 3 years).

9. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Yeah, nothing. Just thought that was most folks' perception.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

too bad you didn't wait a bit. looks like the new Samsung Epic will be the Sprint phone to have

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar