June 11TH Playstation Nation is Gonna be Smiling

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by OILERTATTOO, Jun 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OILERTATTOO

OILERTATTOO Starter

I hear ya, but the Xbox had a short run as it launched in 2001 if I remember correctly. The 360 launched Nov '05, so I am expecting the 360 to do something similar. 2010 would be my bet.

Plus there are always going to be those that adopt new tech early.

I am pretty sure Sony has said that they want/expect the PS3 to go 10 years.

Later

2. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

My TV ? c'mon ... you now I'm pimpin' ...... and the ps3 triggered a chain of events that led to the return of my Toshiba 62" DLP 1080p HDTV (rhyming). once I got the ps3 (freeish btw (total cost less than $100 @ ps3 4 free - another internet promotion) and hooked it via HDMI to the Toshiba, I noticed that it did NOT actually accept 1080p input but only de-interlaced 1080i via "wobbulation" to creat a 1080p (1920x1080) resolution. CRAP! that's misleading and is bordering on false advertising - Thank god I bought it at Costco (until recently had NO TIME LIMIT on returns - they do now @ 90 days)

anyway, I took the Toshiba back and got the TV I wanted to begin with but balked at the cost. I have the Sony SXRD (LcOs) 60A2020 and the Ps3 is connected via HDMI and `1080p is enabled. DVD playback is upconverted to 1080p and the SXRD displays it beautifully. I have never been more impressed at a combo of equipment

I have yet to sign up for the Playstation Online

I have Gears of War and have a total of 10 minutes invested in the game. at the time I was playing FFXII, then began Zelda: Twilight and then God of War II . Then I set video games aside as I got busy at work with several award shows, a few TV shows and quite a bit of Exhibit work.
    so in other words, I cannot compare the 2
    my best guess is that Gears has a slight edge

I am playing again.... I had let a nephew borrow one of my games and I had an itching to play when he brought it back to me. I am currently playing KotoR on 360. DAMN I LOVE THIS GAME !. if there is one game that deserves a remake (without all the crazy load times and erratic bugs) KotoR would have to be HIGH on my list

I'd like to try MotorStorm and Resistance, but will be anticipating that Killer App. I'm not sure it exists on ps3 yet

my best comparison for both platforms would probably be with Oblivion. I may rent it on ps3 and cross examine. however, that could be unfair because Bethesda had some time to retune a few things

For the time being, the ps3 will likely remain an Entertainment Center piece and will serve as my first choice for DVD playback. I popped in a few discs to test and they felt new again. For instance, The Fifth Element looked incredible, and I can hardly imagine the image being much cleaner with the BluRay version.

another incredible thing is the Web Browser. my test was here and to the Funny Internet thread. several vids and youtube clips looked better on a 60" screen than it did on my 17" iMac ... that got HIGH marks for me

I just got it and haven't really had the time to rent a game. and I'm also currently hooked on KOTOR (Taris / Dantooine / Tattoine / Kashyyk / Leviathan complete) so maybe after I kick Malak's butt (again) I'll get Resistance and give you an UNBIASED opinion

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I think Sony tried to bank on previous PS2 customers. If they would've launched at the same time for the same price, I would've gotten a ps3. I have a dvd player though, so blu-ray didn't matter when buying a game console. I don't see the difference between high-def and reg much nor dvd/blu ray. It's all mind tricks I tell ya!
    I think Wii will definitely die out in a year or 2. No online games, no high def, not much of anything worth playing and weak graphics that aren't next gen. I'm not sure how it's selling at the moment really. That gimmicky controller must have really worked.
    Power Glove pt 2!

4. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

I know it was a stupid question.

Although have you ever paid full price for a console? You always get em on these promotions. It's crazy.

It doesn't yet.

That will be interesting.

5. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

One theory I have considered is that the first console released is the winner due to many casual gamers just getting what is there.

PSX beat N64

PS2 beat x-box, gamecube

360 so far beating Wii and PS3.

I believe all were the first 'new' gen consoles released.

6. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

Mind tricks for blind people maybe ......

put a BLu-Ray paired with a legit 1080p display beside a Wal-Mart LCD and a low-end DVD player and tell me there's no difference
    If you can't see it, you may need to see a doctor

as a matter of fact, I can see a noticeable difference in 1080i and 1080p
    it's more prominent on larger screens (55"+)

7. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

yes,.... I paid for the Wii. I walked into Wal-Mart one day and there it was. They are still scarce. Just the other day, Target was passing out vouchers.
    Hard to believe considering the manufacture process. Building a Wii is pretty quick

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

man, I hope BR doesn't manifest into Sony's next Beta
    I'm not sure how an HD-DVD drive operates in terms of grace, but this thing the other night was like flipping pages in a book

I threw in a basic copy of The Fifth Elemt
    no Special Edition. No Superbit. $6 - Big Lots (chuckle)
    anyway, nothing special
    and it looked absolutely fantastic.
    all the the things you might normally miss - you can't anymore
    and the disc read like a book. there was mimal delay in the time you were in PLAY to Stopping it to the Menu
    OK - Scene Select ..... no problem ... maybe a blink of a delay
    EXIT back into the Ps3 submenus , then back to the DVD ..... vrooom

I sure hope it keeps performing like it is
    and doesn't become a big black shiny brick like some early ps2's
    the ps3 is such a good DVD Player as a whole, I'm almost hesitant to starting 10 hour sessions. It's going to take a blockbuster title and a ps3 Excl. I guess any Cross-Platform titles, I'lluse the 360 (especially for racers and shooters. ........I might go 3 for football titles ... and it'd also be my choice for button smashers

basically, whichever one comes out with Knights of the Old Republic III first will win themselves a big ol hug from PuckDaddy

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

I'm not saying there's NO difference. I'm saying the difference isn't great and definitely not worth the money that the difference costs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar