Jrobs first round picks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanic_Sub, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

14/32=44%
    8/32=25%
    6/32=19%
    Overall average 29%

You picked three years, in all three 1st rounders were retained at a higher % than ours have been with jrob. See where I'm going here?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  2. Carp

Carp Starter

Recent trends show it's actually worse with only 6 1st rounders from 2015 still with their original team and only 8 from 2016.

3. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

That makes sense to me. After the rookie salary cap was established, we see tons of players hang out for only the rookie contract as FA allows for a huge payday comparatively to the rookies themselves getting unjustified huge paydays.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Carp

Carp Starter

You see that the number is clearly trending one direction don't you? And there isn't any discernible difference from 19% to 17%.

From 2014 it's 7. From 2013, it's 2. Anyway you cut it, an insanely small portion of drafted players re-sign with their former team.

And lol at averaging 29%.

5. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

If you bat .290 in the mlb you're an all-star. If you bat .166 you're out of the league. But ok whatever you say, myself personally, I'd like to see our first rounders resigned.

Also you say it's trending to one direction but you're numbers don't really indicate that there's a trend at all

6. Carp

Carp Starter

Well there hasn't been 29% at any point recently. So that's a useless baseline.

8,6,7,2 are the last 4 drafts from players who have played out their rookie contracts and stayed with their drafted team on a long term deal. That's 17.9% for all you guys keeping score.

The average NFL playing career is 3.3 years. From 2016-2017, J-Rob has 11of his 19 picks still playing in the NFL, and 9 of them are currently starting, well beyond the NFL average of 3.3 years.

NFL players overwhelmingly do not stay with they're drafted team. It's a fact. So can we please stop with this non-sense argument.

7. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

Did you really just use a baseball analogy for football?

There is no doubt the trend is that players are not staying with teams that draft them. You can’t dispute it.

8. Titanic_Sub

Titanic_Sub Pro Bowler

You were the one who brought up the season at 29%. It was relevant when it benefited your argument, but not when it benefits mine? Ok lol. The average is still better than what we're batting even if we retain simmons which is not a guarantee.

I also don't know why you're bringing up non first round picks, I was strictly speaking on first round picks. I'm not dogging jrob, I simply stated we don't keep first round picks past their rookie contract very well. Which still remains true.

9. Carp

Carp Starter

That's what the article said and you requested what the numbers were so I told you. I didn't post the article, someone else did. Using an average is not an accurate portrayal since several teams had multiple 1st round picks during this time while other teams didn't even have a 1st round pick some seasons. The entire point being made, is that a very low percentage of players actually re-sign with the team that drafted them.

Frankly, it's dumb argument anyways. Whether or not a player is still with the team he was drafted by after his rookie contract has no beating on whether or not he was a good pick. Maybe some of these guys just wanted to move to a bigger market? Maybe they have a buddy on another team that they want to play with. Either way, it's irrelevant. We wouldn't have been in the playoffs these past few seasons without their contributions.

#129 Carp, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You’re forgetting about the opportunity to extend a quality 1sr round pick or trading him for retained value from the draft capital used as a 1st round pick. You HOPE to get a core player from every pick, the probability is higher that happens in earlier rounds, especially the first.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar