Jrobs first round picks

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Titanic_Sub, Mar 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Carp

Carp Starter

If we had the cap space, I'm sure J-Rob would have kept the other guys this year. It's unfortunate we had to make a decision on Conk, Henry, and Tanne all in the same off-season. That was a lot of money to throw around considering our other needs.

3. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

4. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

So keep the context of a COVID year and why certain players this off season had to be released I don’t see the problem.

5. Carp

Carp Starter

The next part of that was this":

only four -- defensive end Patrick Kerney (Atlanta), quarterback Daunte Culpepper (Minnesota), quarterback Donovan McNabb (Philadelphia) and left tackle Luke Petitgout (NY Giants) -- have received huge contract extensions. Several players whose rookie contracts are set to expire over the next year or two may be heading to different teams in free agency.

Granted this looks like it was written back around 2002-2003. So may be things have changed.

6. Ontario Titan

Ontario Titan Pro Bowler

Yes that's true...I'm sure there is more to come this offseason
    Like you said the Wilson pick phucked us...if he showed promise I'm sure losing Conklin would be a mute point

Its more Davis, yes he didn't live up to the #5 pick but thats on the Titans not him, he didn't ask to be drafted 5th overall
    He turned into a good #2 with AJB
    I think the point is, why not lock him up after his 3rd year?
    2017- 375 yds 0 TDs
    2018- 891 yds 4 TDs
    2019- 601 yds 2 TDs

Surely after taking him at 5, we could have extended him at a reasonable deal at year 3? He was a good team player, blocked well, did all the little things. Good #2 if not a #1B?

Not saying he's an all pro but he's decent

Now who will replace him?

#96 Ontario Titan, Mar 17, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
  7. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

It’s the best I could find. But it’s point is that the Salary CP causes player movement. Teams turn over their rosters every 5 years. I doubt much has changed,

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Carp

Carp Starter

That's fair. But again, I don't think you should expect to keep every first rounder, may be not even most first rounders, past their rookie contracts. There's just not enough money to pay everyone. There's definitely a trade off from the known commodity to the unknown. I think at that point you have to look at the teams needs vs the player (or rather the cost of replacing such a player).

Such as, if you have a decent replacement for Conk on the roster already (which we did in Kelly) and can draft a OT early, maybe the 15 million you were going to spend on Conk would be better spent improving your pass rush. Unfortunately, the plan unraveled from there, but it's pretty hard to predict player's not having motivation (Beasley/WIlson) or injuries (Clowney).

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Agree. But JRob responsible for the plan that didn’t work out (for whatever reason). That’s his job. And I don’t think anybody can argue that we shouldn’t see more return on the draft capital spent in the first round. You can retain value by trading players if you know you’re not going to extend them. That’s how the top GMs retain the value. And they also employ analytics.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. Carp

Carp Starter

I think by J-Robs 2nd year, we had less than 12 players total on the 51 man roster who had been drafted or signed by the previous regime, and we still made the playoffs. Tells you a lot about how poorly this franchise was run before J-Rob arrived

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar