JRob Overrated?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What does that have to do with anything? Why draft WR so early then if none are doing anything. A #5 overall is expected to produce right away except maybe a QB. I’m not the only guy in the world who states Davis has thus far been underwhelming.

2. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I'd agree with that. But these are kids who are making a huge transition, and they need the proper coaching in order to be successful right away. WR has the greatest mental learning curve of any position other than QB, and the coaching staff can't even get production out of a talented 3rd year QB. I just don't think you can point blame at the GM or the individual players when there's clearly a major teaching deficiency.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Running a pass route is right up there with splitting an atom. Very complicated.

4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

In DGB's case, I'd say that's true.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Riverman

OK. To be clear, I never “blame” anything or anybody. But there is responsibility. And the GM is responsible for personnel choices. JRob is responsible for taking a WR at #5 who has been underwhelming for the position he was taken. #33 overall last year is an undeniable bust. That’s big. JRob is responsible for some good picks- Jayon Brown, Byard and Conklin are standouts. JRob is responsible for meh CB/DB help in FA- a glaring need.

I’m not “blaming” anybody. My only point has been that it is fair and reasonable to say JRob IS over-rated on this board because his returns thus far have been slightly above average to average. It is fair to see this next off season will be the most telling and that our record next hear will most accurately reflect his performance as a GM.

I’m not criticizing JRob personally which is what many here on the board perceive I’m doing. And it does warrant pointing out that JRob’s rep here is fueled predominantly by a lot of hope that he turns out be the awesome savior of the franchise. We’ll see. Right now he’s average to slightly above average.

6. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

IDK what it is lately with this forum where you can't point out any flaws with this team/organization whatsoever without having your words misconstrued and turned into wild exaggerations.

A GM's job is managing player personnel, and in most cases making coaching decisions. We really have no proof our guy has any control over the latter. That leaves talent. And he's been average in that department imo. That's not a knock. Average is still better than what we had before.

It's not as if he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt and a chance to grow as a GM. No one is calling for his head. But he was "crowned" from day one by a lot of Titans fans and it's unjustified imo.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Look at it this way- you can look at the past few drafts of the Patriots and identify maybe a few who actually get PT, and none really standout. You are putting way too much emphasis on that #33 selection. They are successful because they have a few great players, a coaching staff and system which utilizes their talents, and a solid foundation of players around them. A missed 2nd round pick means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.
    2 First Team All-Pros in one draft class= Average

Wow.

8. Riverman

Conklin was a #8 overall. Byard is indeed impressive pick. Honestly- I expects for an average GM to hit an all pro on a top 10. So I’ll give you that Byard pick is impressive work. But as you point out in another post, if coaching ruins picks, then coaching can enhance picks- Byard has been coached by a legend.

The Dodd pick stinks and there is no way you can honestly discredit it. The Davis pick at #5 hasn’t produced. We’d have been better served with a more productive position pick. But it’s early. So yes- JRob average thus far.

• High Five High Five x 2
  9. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

If you can name 15 GMs who have done a better job over the past 2 years, then you'll have a point. But you can't. Because very few have, and I'd argue that's he's done as good a job as anyone.

10. Riverman

Well “good as anyone” is average. Which is what I’ve been saying. Haven’t been saying he’s bad. Still don’t know why people find that statement so objectionable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar