JRob Overrated?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You’re right. I just checked- it has gone up to 52% with the last game. 65 targets, 34 receptions. Still well below other WRS if you’re trying to blame Mariota.

2. Danimal

Danimal Starter

You can pick apart every move J Rob has made if you want to but if you are going to evaluate his work you have to look at the big picture. He took over a team with 3 wins. Nowhere to go but up. We have won in the playoffs this season. Pretty good progression. Now comes the true measure . . . What move he makes this off season will tell me if he is the G M we hoped he would be or just another jabronie. I think he will make the tough decisions and will continue to move this team forward.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. Riverman

I agree with what you’re saying. Improving the W-L is impressive. However, Our record rebounded due to numerous high draft picks and being scheduled to play against teams of similar divisional standings. It’s the “parity formula”. Our strength of schedule was really weak the past two years. And failed to take advantage of our diving opponents key injuries. 9-7 isn’t that remarkable in that situation IMO.

4. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

We were 6-2 against teams with winning records in 2016, and now 5-2 against teams with winning records this season. We aren't taking advantage of a weak schedule, that's the issue. We clearly have the ability to.

5. Danimal

Danimal Starter

I agree that it was the circumstances that allowed this team to be where it is . No doubt there were many factors that fell in our favor. My point is where does Johnson Robinson lead us from here ? Do we continue to improve ? Do we stay about the same, or do we backslide ? This off season will shape my opinion of him.

6. selever2000

selever2000 Starter

Well, I agree with you on the part that we should have gotten some DB's to help out more. I was hoping someone from FA to help out A. Jackson. I think he is a great pick. As for MM8 and DHenry, I think they are great, but what I see as being a problem is that we need that #1 WR to be a threat. We should have picked someone up in FA and really make a difference. Our weakness is the inability to stop plays over the middle. TE's have a field day with us. 49ers passed on us like we were a Pee Wee team. Our other Achilles' heal is the lack of aggressiveness in our WR's. They should come back to the pass and fight for it. Catch more over the top passes. They need to be more Scrappy! Lastly! Our play calling is so damn one dimensional. Our running plays are so lame up the middle sometimes. We need to have a burst from our RB to hit the holes. Then, and this is the part that pisses me off. It's 3rd and 9 or more and we throw a 3 yard pass.

7. Riverman

Your logic points out we are 4-5 against teams with losing records. That's clearly indicative of a team that can't win the games they are supposed to win.

And further more, those numbers say that 9 of our games came against a teams with losing records.

You can't argue against parity- the league schedule is designed to give weaker teams from the prior every opportunity possible to improve their record by playing equally weak teams AND they get more draft capital. Parity gives weaker teams EVERY possible advantage to improve their record and team.

There is no parity in ownership, coaching or administration. And that's why teams like the Patriots and Steelers have been dominant. Their organization is clearly superior in those areas.

It is simply erroneous to heavily attribute a 13-10" turnaround" entirely to GMmanship. And again to clarify- I'm not saying JRob a terrible GM. I'm saying he has been average to just above average so far (as records indicate). I'm saying it is too early for people to "anoint" him as has been done a lot on the board. And that is the point of this thread- to discuss if he is over rated. (Not if he is terrible.)

8. SeerChild

SeerChild Practice Squad

Outside of JuJu none of the top drafted WR's have done anything.

9. TitanWally

TitanWally Starter

So basically, he literally needs to win a SB to be considered any good.

Continue on our 2-3 win season ways - "He's useless!!"
    Turn it around to back to back 9-7's - "Parity helped as much as he did"

Parity exists for sure, but he deserves some credit imo. He's hit on more draft picks than he's missed, and those he's missed on hes been slandered for, even when the pick only existed due to a good piece of work he did prior to that! (Dodd being the prime example, pick only came about because of the trade from #1 to #15).

10. Riverman

Never said he’s useless. Never said he didn’t contribute to 9-7. Just saying too early to say anything other than he’s slightly above average.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar