JRob Overrated?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitansWillWin2, Oct 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I was apparently wrong about Big Ben, we did get to him 3 times (Klug, Morgan, and Walden). I stand by my statement though, I love Rak, but he's gotten older and lost a step. He's not going to get faster and stronger either.

I'm just saying we need to look to the future next year.

2. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I'm sure you've watched more of him over the years than I have, so I don't doubt what you say. But the statistics show that he is more or less producing pressure at a rate consistent with what he has done in the past, and in the top 5 of all players at his position. He's getting to the age where we need to find a young guy who will eventually take over, but I believe that people are exaggerating about his performance this year, which has been good.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I just hate that we finally start getting pressure from Jones and then he goes to IR. That was really the spot we needed some added pressure from, and then lose him for the year.

Maybe Austin Johnson will step up with additional play time, but I doubt he's going to suddenly turn into a monster.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Our 2017 draft class rated as average thus far. (Yes- it’s early. I’m including this because I do think it exemplifies that JRob is an average GM which has been debated.)

http://www.espn.com/blog/tennessee-...t-class-highlighted-by-adoree-jacksons-growth

Titans' draft class highlighted by Adoree' Jackson's growth
    6:00 AM CT
    • [​IMG]
      Cameron WolfeESPN Staff Writer
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee Titans were one of the most talked-about teams on draft day as they grabbed two exciting playmakers with their first-round picks. Fast forward to January and cornerback Adoree' Jackson has proven himself as a rapidly progressing and effective starting cornerback/returner. The Titans' top pick, receiver Corey Davis, has been a symbol for most of the rest of the draft class -- a bit underwhelming and a season of untapped potential. It will be an important 2018 offseason for Davis, receiver Taywan Taylor and tight end Jonnu Smith as they try to find their roles in the Titans' offense. The good news for them is there's plenty of time left to figure it out.

Grade: Average.

Best rookie: The knock on Jackson coming out of college was that he was an undersized and would take some time to develop into a starting-caliber cornerback. He has taken some lumps this season, but he has improved steadily to form a solid starting cornerback duo with veteran Logan Ryan. Jackson allowed only 28.6 percent of contested passes to be caught, fifth highest in the NFL per Pro Football Focus, while playing the second most snaps among all NFL players. He also showed flashes as a dangerous returner.

Jayon Brown. The Titans' fifth-round pick has earned somewhat of a timeshare at linebacker with Avery Williamson, primarily due to his ability to cover tight ends and running backs. Offenses hurt the Titans quite a bit over the middle in 2016, but Brown helped minimize that damage in his solid 2017 season.

Most disappointing rookie: It has to be Davis considering the expectations that he could be the Titans' No. 1 receiver as a rookie. He finished with 34 catches, 375 yards and no touchdowns. A lot of Davis' lackluster numbers are due to injuries that caused him to miss most of the preseason and five games. He looked behind when he returned to action and has made some rookie mistakes including route precision struggles. He also belongs in this next category because he has shown flashes of his talent and it's way too early to give up on him.

Corey DavisWRWESTERN MICHIGAN1/18Adoree' JacksonCBUSC3/72Taywan TaylorWRWESTERN KENTUCKY3/100Jonnu SmithTEFLORIDA INTERNATIONAL5/155Jayon BrownOLBUCLA6/217Corey LevinGCHATTANOOGA7/227Josh CarrawayOLBTCU7/236Brad SeatonOTVILLANOVA7/241Khalfani MuhammadRBCALIFORNIA
    Jury is still out on ...: Taylor, who looked to be the Titans' much-needed speed and big-play receiver early in the season when Davis was out of action. His snaps dramatically decreased late in the season, partially because of some route-running and scheme mistakes. The Titans coaches fell back to using Taylor as a gimmick player when he has potential as a true receiver. Taylor finished with 231 receiving yards and a touchdown, but he had only three catches for 23 yards over the final seven games as his role diminished.

Undrafted rookie evaluation: The Titans have no undrafted rookies on their 53-man roster, and none played much of a role throughout the 2017 season.

5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

You say this as we are one of the 8 remaining teams with a shot at the SB in just the second season after he took over a 3 win team. Are you really surprised that people aren't jumping on board with that opinion?

Give the rookies some time. His first class has already had two First Team All-Pros, which is outstanding. You are entirely too unrealistic.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

JRob should've known Davis was going to pull his hammy in camp, and again early in the season. Causing him to miss so much time and hurt his development. We deserve better from the GM

7. Riverman

I’m saying it and so is the guy who made the report. I post this only because at the very best it is too early to tell, but honestly, I’ve seen enough out of the misses (no immediate impact) to determine JRob is average. I just am quite tired of hearing how revered JRob is so early when he hasn’t done that much. He didn’t pick Mariota. He didn’t pick Lewan or bring in DW. Conklin and Jayon Brown are his most notable achievements from a personnel standpoint. And the Dodd miss, lack of immiedate production out of a #5 overall are glaring. JuJu Smith Schuster is killing it. Should have picked him if we talking about rookies needing time to develop......

8. Riverman

Yeah- and should have known Dodd had a foot injury. Get real- the knock is the lack of production. The hammy didn’t put Davis so far back with zero TD’s. Get real.

9. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

During that time the Pats have been winning divisions and Superbowls. Want to compare their draft pick position to ours? We should have 10 all pros by now. We settle for mediocrity because we have been losing for so long. At least aas hasn't given mm a contract extension.

10. GrayGhost1951

GrayGhost1951 Starter

Drafting one year wonders like Dodd and DGB is insane.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar