Johnathan Cyprien to Titans

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dirk Diggler, Mar 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2ToneBlueBlood

2ToneBlueBlood Pro Bowler

The worst part of this means it's much less likely now that we draft Adams. With Jax signing a safety it was looking pretty good that he was going to fall to us. Cyprien is a good run defender but Adams is a game changer, he can tackle AND cover. Gah.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  2. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

I'm not sure why it matters who we sign first? Also, this only came out because his agent is Rosenhaus and apparently his group likes to leak information. We could have 5 other guys agreed to in principal and they just haven't announced it yet. Chill for another hour at least.

So for a big nickel package, my best guess is you'd have 4 down DL's (we use Morgan and Orakpo as DL's sometimes), 2 LB's (Williamson and Woodyard currently), 2 CB's, a bigger safety (Cyprien) in the box, so it actually looks like a 4-3, and then Byard and the SS would be over the top.

Basically you sub out your nose tackle for a bigger safety, who almost plays a LB role. He'd help against the run and cover TE's. Cyp is a big, fast guy and from what I've read had improved coverage this past year. Better than anyone we had covering the TE last year.

I'm completely ok with this as long as he's not getting like $8M/yr.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

In a nickle/dime package, I want more in coverage. What you speak of is strictly run defense. Considering the Slot CB plays more than 60% of base D snaps, you would think at least 3 Corners, 2 Safeties, sub out out one of Woodyard/williamson for the NickleHybrid LB/S.

The scenario you described looks like a field day to pass AND run against.

But I understand what you're saying, I'm just extremely underwhelmed at the thought of Cyprien as our first signing anywhere near north of 5mil+ for a 3rd safety/Nickle LB.

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

After all, we play the Jags twice per year, and I've never seen Cyprien make a standout play.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

This guy was just not a day 1 sign. I just doubt there was much of a market for him, hell the jags did not want him back. I hope this does not take us out of drafting adams. We really need to sign logan ryan. CB is where we are just awful

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

If I had to guess this means we're replacing Searcy right?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

What is it with me ABSOLUTELY hating Titan Safeties with long dreads? **** those guys

8. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

Reminds you of the Vagician Griffin!

9. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

or Stafford, or both

10. ropy0386

ropy0386 Starter

except Griffin made the pro bowl twice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar