Jim Schwartz

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bulluck, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Watch the play where Fuller blitzes and cleans his clock. The next 2 passes were incompletions.

It is about disrupting what is working for them. We were losing the line battle and that wasn't going to change. They were passing at will with us holding back- what is there to lose?

And yes they were completing the passes in front of DB for first downs because Cutler was in rhythm- disrupt it!

They scored from the plays because our DB's couldn't tackle-yes but they were still moving the chains with their passing game even if we did.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

disrupt the timing of the passing game, however you can. It works. Ask anyone who played for Texas Tech.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Teams can live or die by the blitz. If you miss there's a good chance the ball is going the other way for a big play. With a mobile QB like Vince or Cutler (who is good at extending the play and making big throws on the run), blitzing more often than not backfires. VY burned HOU in OT because they blitzed him.

It stinks we can't get pressure with the front 4 without AH in there. That's the ideal scenario - tight coverage and solid 4-man pressure. If you know the QB isn't going to have 4+ seconds to wait for things to develop you can press in coverage, knowing if the WR makes a great cut and breaks free it won't matter as much. I thought we had backups that would perform better than they have. Not sure what the problem is - or maybe AH is just that much better than everyone else out there.

4. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Like everyone is saying, if one thing isn't working, and you're getting whupped, you try something DIFFERENT. Blitzing allows for the CHANCE for one of our safeties or LBS to beat their back, or TE and put a little pressure, make him throw early, throw off, or just get a hit on him. You vcan't just look and say "Oh, they have evryone in blocking, so we might as well play zone" We have athelets, just like they do. To keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results = INSANITY. That was just plain insane to keep calling zone defense, and still get burned for 20+ yard plays. Schwartz is nothin, hasn't been anything. I don't care how well our defense is playing, I don't think our players respect him, and don't believe they believe in him as a coordinator dating back to last season. The only difference is they again, have made up their mind that they did not want to be the joke of the NFL by finishing dead last again. Although I think Schartz should be replaced, I put the owness on the Defensive players for not making any plays. They looked flat, and uninspired out there. Scwartz is just a sideline puppet whose schemes would be better suited for my son's HS team, not the NFL.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

They were rendered useless as it was, so why not blitz them?

6. MDTitansFan

MDTitansFan Guest

I think Schwartz is showing his true colors now. Hayensworth was a big reason why we were so good. I dont think it was Schwartz's defensive masterminding that had the D looking so good this year. We are seeing his true colors now that big Al is out. But i bet once he comes back and the D looks good then the discussion about our D coord. will start to be good agian. Its all about what have you done for me latley. And lately hes been stinking

7. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

And read Fisher's comment on that. Schwartz called the blitz when the Broncos put in a different package. After the blitz, they went back to max protect.

Now Fisher could be full of BS and covering for Schwartz being unable to call a decent game OR, just maybe, it was the right call and the Titans secondary blew it.

So do it regardless of whether or not it has a shot in hell to work? Why not bring seven and let the DBs go one-on-one with the WRs? Why not bring 10 and let Finnegan cover three guys by himself because the pass rush is guaranteed to get to Cutler, right?

And much of it was the three-step drop which means no amount of blitzing would matter. Want to disrupt that? Hit those receivers when the ball arrives and make them think a bit about it next time.

So the answer is blitzing him when he's only taking short drops and no one has a realistic chance to even hurry him? It's up to the secondary to pound the WRs on the short stuff and prevent YAC. You at least hope the DBs can prevent WRs escaping for long TDs twice in one game.

I don't understand the mentality some of you have. Blitzing for the sake of blitzing regardless is stupid. When the WR makes a short catch in space where the defender was and busts a 40-yard TD, Schwartz is an idiot for putting his secondary at risk.

The goal of the coordinator is to put his players in the best position to be successful. Sometimes that means blitzing if the numbers are good but that sometimes means having a little faith your secondary, who had played well most of the season, will make a play.

Cutler had 200 yards even with two plays which should have been stopped after the catch. 80 of that were the two TDs which should have been never gone the distance had the secondary tackled.

8. desfletcher316

desfletcher316 Occasional visitor

Bring back Buddy Ryan if he's still ticking. Used to love that 46.:thumb:

9. Blitzing a lot without the right personnel is a very fun way to lose...

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

You guys are right. What was I thinking?

Schwartz has no responsibility in the defense's meltdown and a few more blitzes would not have made a difference. His gameplan was working fine- we did force them to punt on one drive. Why take a chance on blitzing with those kind of results?

It is all on the players- they must just not have the desire to win these last 2 games versus the others. And clearly he not responsible to coordinate that. For that matter, he absolutely bears no responsibilty in their execution- he is just the Head Defensive Coordinator. We were going to lose anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar