Jim Schwartz

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Bulluck, Nov 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

That's not the feedback I've had on Harper from Colts fans.

They said he's good in cover two but too slow to play man coverage.

2. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

So don't the Colts run primarily a Tampa 2? That's my point, suit your defense around you players strengths, not weaknesses.

3. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

He's not been wearing the Red Hat this season, just a Red Shirt.
    So, this year he will be known as, Chief Red Shirt...

4. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

Cheif Red Skirt?

5. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

That is all I ask and what my original post is about. Someone gets hurt? Find a way to make up for his play. Schwartz does not change his scheme for the men he has on the field.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I've you've read anything I've said on this subject it's that Schwartz (or any DC) has limited impact on how well their defense can play. It's up to the players to execute.

I didn't shower Schwartz with praise when the defense was #2 as I didn't give him 100% of the blame as others did here last year when we sucked.

I was just a bit shocked someone actually said the reverse of what I have been saying for years.

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

I agree that Schwartz can't prevent Hill from missing the tackle or Griffin for falling down. However what he can prevent is the opposing QB having all the time in the world because our DL isn't getting any pressure, it's called stunting and blitzing. He can also prevent our CB's getting beat deep by playing a man under cover 2 or even a cover 3 or 4 if that's the problem.

My main issue with Schwartz is that his playcalling is really strange, it's not rare to see our CB's backed 10 yards off the line of scrimmage in short yardage situations. It IS, unfortunately, rare to see blitzes coming off the edges, however when they do they're very effective (ie. when we've seen Finnegan, Fuller and even Hope come from the outside).

Basically I don't think he's aggressive enough. Sure you risk giving up a big play by being aggressive, but you also get an opportunity to create a big play. As it is now, we rarely give up the big plays, but instead let the other teams grind out against us, which is not a favorable matchup for any defence.

8. TitanJeff

Blitzing against a max protect like that usually means the blitzing player never gets to the QB and leaves a huge gap for a reception. The Broncos kept players in throughout the game in max protect. Schwartz blitzed Fuller when he knew the blitz would work because they were not in max protect on the play. Blitzing for the sake of blitzing isn't the answer.

Bottom line, without pressure from our front four, our secondary is exposed. Hill is a liability. Finnegan is still learning. Griffin is a rookie who didn't get a camp at the position. Hope has had two poor weeks. Add that up and you have a secondary who is average, at best.

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

TJ- Blitzing destroys a QB's rhythm- especially if he gets hit on one of them.

Are you suggesting that we WEREN'T giving up the big plays on MNF by not blitzing? I don't see any logical and knowledgeable argument that would suggest we shouldn't have blitzed more when Cutler was cutting us apart.

10. TitanJeff

How does a blitz destroy his rhythm if they never get close to him? The Broncos were in max protect. They kept the RB and TE in to block. By my calculations, that adds up to seven players in to stop the pass rush.

So tell me how successful our fifth player would be applying pressure in that situation? If anything, I'd brought up Bulluck and Thornton more and keep them guessing that one is coming. But it would also render them useless in coverage because they're out of the play before it begins.

What it points out to me is that our seven back couldn't cover three guys most of the evening. And when they had a completion made in front of them, missed too many tackles which allowed the big plays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar