Jim Schwartz to Join Titans Staff

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Aqutis30, Apr 6, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

I think Schwartz will sort of attempt to be a secondary character behind Bowen but let’s be real here, the dude has decades more experience than Bowen and a ring to boot. Do we really think his hard nosed personality and experience will stay in Bowen’s shadow long? Players will listen to Bowen but I guarantee you they HEAR Schwartz. He will be a much bigger figure on this defense than some of y’all think.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 5
  2. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

I think some of y’all are wrong about Vrabel and this particular issue. I don’t think it’s “ his defense “. He is the HC sure, but I think like any successful HC has to be he sees the need to bring in more help. You can’t really keep bashing him when it’s clear he knows the team needs scheme help. Swartz isn’t hired as a “ consultant”. The NFL doesn’t announce consultant hires. Jim Swartz is on the staff and I bet that he helps design the defense and Bowen makes the calls.

3. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

The biggest problem that our defense had last yr was on 3rd down and specifically 3rd and long...it is in those situations that we usually played with 4 down linemen.

Schwartz is going to bring his knowledge to those situations....our pass rush was abysmal last yr...Schwartz was brought in to improve that...as were Dupree and Autry.

I do not see a wholesale change in our defense happening.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

Vrabel is really big on that "front multiplicity" thing. So yea, I dont see any hard changes in what kind of defense we run. More like he will give Shane his input on what to play and when, but make no mistake Shane will be the play caller.

5. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Maybe. I hope so, but I’m not changing my opinion of Vrabel until I can see positive change.

• High Five High Five x 2
  6. TitanMark

TitanMark Pro Bowler

Fair ...

7. Rwill

Rwill Pro Bowler

Come on Mark, this is just an episode of The Office playing out in real life.

Ya'll remember when Dwight becomes acting manager, and makes Jim the assistant to the manager, then asked Jim to choose an assistant to the assistant, so Jim chooses Dwight.

Dwight "I need you to blah blah blah"
    Jim "right on that boss" "hey assistant, come here and do what Dwight says"
    Dwight "ok boss, be right there"

• LOL LOL x 1
  8. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

This is exactly it. We've always been a multiple front team since Vrabel came on. We use 3 man front and blitzing linebackers plenty for normal situations, but then switch to a 4 man front with our edge rushers pinning their ears back. But last year our alignment was terrible, allowing the OL to keep everyone in tight and gave them an easy win.

Schwartz brings a ton of very good knowledge on how to make those situations way more effective.

Can't wait to see Landry and Dupree out there in a wide 9 on 3rd downs, giving Simmons and Autry plenty of room to wreck things up the middle!

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I agree, it was but just a few years ago Bowen was carrying Gatorade to players.

10. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

Very well could be more of a DL coach assistant which as a team we clearly need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar