Jim Schwart'z future

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ratt1118, Dec 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nendzone

nendzone All Titans, All the Time

I look at it this way:

Who do you think Gregg Williams would pluck out of the Titans' starting lineup right now if you told him he could swap someone into his current lineup, if he wanted maximum production based on physical skills and instincts/game experience? (for the sake of hypothetical argument, assume these guys could instantly know his system, so we're not talking a "learn the playbook" ramp up stuff, and we're just saying right now, not talking about future upside.)

Would he swap any of his top three corners -- all former first round picks -- for Jones, Hill, or Woolfolk?

Would he swap Sean Taylor for Lamont Thompson?

Would he swap Marcus Washington for Peter Sirmon? Lemar Marshall for Brad Kassell?

Would he swap Phillip Daniels for KVB (he might, but these guys are similar kind of players, IMO)? Travis LaBoy for Renaldo Wynn? Randy Starks for Cornelius Griffin?

I think he'd take Albert Haynesworth (for Joe Salave'a), Keith Bulluck (but physically, Arrington doesn't suck either), and maybe Tank Williams for Ryan Clark.

But he's got some very solid talent AND a lot of experience on his team right now. Just the way he likes it (especially the "experience" part).

2. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

All true and does not change my point at all.

3. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

That's kind of what I've been saying. Personally, I think we need to make some moves at the safety position. I agree that some of these guys are playing like girls but I'm more convenced that it's a personel problem more so than a coaching problem. It is well known throughout the league that the Titans have good coaching. Holgram was very complimentery of our coaching staff after the game yesterday, and maybe it was out of repect, but that tends to be the general attitude of most coach's and anylists that Ive ever seen.

I think they've outplayed the O all season except yesterday. That doesn't mean I think they're good, by any means, but for the most part they've kept us in more games than the Offense has. I honestly think our D could put it together with a couple changes. I think we need to add strength at LB and SS.

Those are two only players on a defense that is filled with quality Vet leadership as compared to us rotating in and out 11 players that are in their 1st or 2nd year. That's a big difference.

4. "Don't bother me with facts, my mind is made up..."

Clearly Gregg Williams would have had an equally dominating defense starting DeRon Jenkins, Perry Phenix, and Daryl Porter. :rolleyes:

5. rcarie

rcarie Tac Head

You know he'd get em' freakin' pumped everyday. He'd show them about attitude and they'd kick everybodies a$$ in every game because they would be so stoked up. Phenix has always been a diamond in the rough in my eyes.:bonk2: Porter would've been an animal.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

In response to Rolltide making a point about Fisher being ultimatly responsible as HC my original point was that Schwartz was the biggest Delta factor comming off the 2000 season.

then you responded about specific personel changes.

yes there were some personel changes - there always are. Biggest change was Schwartz being selected as DC.

That is why I said that my point was not changed by neither Starkiller's nor RollTides assertions.

Again the biggest Delta factor was naming Schwartz DC

Some say it is merly considence that prior to Schwartz being named DC the Titans had one of the best D's in modern NFL history and post Schwartz D has been above current NFL average 1 possibly 2 years out of the 5 of the Schwartz era. I say that if Fisher had not made a ceberal accountant DC and instead would have looked outside the organization for talent - At this point in time I have no idea who might have been available at that point in time, but tons of position coaches at the NFL level would have been - then things would most definatly be different and in a positive way for the Titans.

7. nendzone

Jerry Gray was a candidate many talked about, but went with Williams when it didn't look like he would get the job here. Or so other people have said (and I have no reason to believe Gray had a choice of DC jobs but went with Williams instead of staying with Fisher and a defense coming off that incredible 2000 season).

So let's use him as an example. Especially since rumors are a lot of players (like Blaine Bishop) wanted Gray to get the job here.

So Gray had a horrible first year in Buffalo, by the standards everyone uses here to trash Schwartz. They went out and paid for a ton of free agent talent in Buffalo on defense over a couple of years (Spikes, Fletcher, Posey, Sam Adams, Milloy, Vincent, etc.), to add to a couple of decent young players from the draft like (at the time) Winfield and Clements and Aaron Schobel....and things got considerably better for a couple of years.

Now, Buffalo is kind of tanking again defensively, partly because of injuries and partly because of guys like Nate Clements not playing up to their past performance. So....is Gray light years ahead of Schwartz? Or does it come down to available players and their performance?

8. Brian

Brian Big Fan

Bottom line is: Football is as much about attitude and smashing someone in the face as it is about game-planning. Our coordinators rely too much on their "schemes" and not enough on the talent. Yes, Chow too, and his "methodical" TE dominated snooze fest.

9. nendzone

And I don't know why people single out coordinators when you have players, position coaches, and a head coach who are responsible for fostering the attitude, too.

10. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

no joke, if NFL players who are getting paid tons of money, have to rely on a coach to fire them up then the problem is clearly with the players attitudes and they need to be replaced.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar