Jarrett is SLOW

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by bulluck4dMVP, Mar 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

april 11th i believe

2. BigRob

BigRob Guest

There may not be much difference between 4.6 and 4.5, but 4.6 is not what he ran. His best time was 4.62 and his worst was 4.67. There is a big difference between 4.5 and 4.67.

Also, are you saying you can't have a bad start or mess up a shuttle or 3-cone drill? Not to mention that Jarrett can't get off of press coverage and you have a mediocre NFL receiver.

3. Fry

oh, you certainly can, but i've always felt it's easier to get out of your stance in the shuttle and cone drills than the 40. there is a lot of form in running the 40, and some guys' times suffer because they arent used to running track.

4. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Saying that the 1 tenth difference is a matter of a good and bad start is just being non-rational. To eliminate bad starts, they have several attempts. Usually only the best time is taken unless there is a large disparity in attempts. Besides that, on average, everyone will have the same amount of bad starts so you can't just say that is the difference between two times. What is the 4.5 guy had a bad start and actually possesses 4.4 speed while the 4.6 buy ran the 40 of his life on the USC track?

And if you can't build a case for 40 times versus actual NFL performance without using a list of less than 10 players, then it isn't going to apply generally enough to the drafting process to be of any practical use. BY AND LARGE, players with good 40 times have a CHANCE to succeed whereas players with slow 40 times (for their position/size taken into consideration) do not have that same chance. When we say someone is a good prospect, all we really mean to say is that, due to his attributes, we think that player has a good chance to succeed. That's all we really care to look at in the crap shoot that is the NFL draft.

I know this is all generally common knowledge to most that post here, but there still seems to be many here where that is not the case.

5. Fry

not really. guys are given multiple shots, but some guys just are not sprinters and stand straight up instead of having the sprinter's lean.

6. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Trust me, with the dollars to be had from the 40, every major university has guys to teach them form. Although they still probably won't do it as perfectly as a sprinter would, they get enough technique to put them on an equal playing field with everyone else. It is in a university's best interest to have as many of their players drafted highly as possible so that they can recruit more top tier talent. Even if a player does nothing his entire career, some teams will look past all of that based almost solely on a 40 time and don't think that universities don't know it.

7. Titans2008

Titans2008 Camp Fodder

Even if all of that wasn't the case though, scouts time the 40's. They can see if a player is standing straight up or has really bad form, bad starts etc. They will take all of that into account so it really isn't even an issue.

8. Fry

which is why i suggested to these guys not to get all worked up about the official time. we dont see them run the 40 at the pro day, the scouts do.

BUT, there is a lot less form in the 3-cone and shuttle, so i think the official times have more validity. just MO though.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Does it matter?

2003 combine revisited..

4.43 or under:
    Bethel johnson
    ty calico
    kevin curtis
    Kareem abdul kelly
    Talman gardner

4.62 or over:
    Brandon lloyd
    Osgood
    tolver
    reno mahe(A particular fav of starkiller)
    Mike bush
    Morris

and the epitome of slowwwwwwwww antuan bouldin with a 4.75! My God don't draft that damn bouldin!

It doesn't matter!

10. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I don't want jarrett either..

He doesn't run great routes. Also when you look at his other workout times he is still subpar compared meachum who had better 20, 10, 20 shuttle and cone times. Meachum also had the higher vertical jump. It's the whole package you look at and jarrett isn't outstanding at any of the workouts..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar