Jared Cook worth $10.5M?!?! What!?

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by JCBRAVE, Feb 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

How is Cook about to rip us off? Oh I get it, the FO will just fork over the extra 4 mil againt their will.

My God does anyone have any sense. Cook is not doing this and it is his agent doing his job. Cook is not going to nor is he expecting to make 10 mil a year. Nobody i going to give him that. And he and his agent know that.

Now if Cook really does suck as bad as people think (the rest of the NFl won't think so including the Titans) why is this an issue? It is an issue because the Titans have plans for Cook in their offense and woul love to sign him to a long term deal but it will be cloer to 6 mil a year and not 10.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Holy ****, TE's that average 450 yards and 2 tds a year are worth 6 million per year???

If that's the mindset then this team is f'd in the a hole.

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Cook's agent is trying to say he is worth $10 million a year lol

4. TitansWillWin2

TitansWillWin2 Pro Bowler

On a good team he would those number in just 6 games!

5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ehhh, I don't think so.

Cook's biggest issue isn't his inability to block, it's he does his own thing.

I used to look at Matt Hasselbeck funny when he'd get sacked and Cook was sitting wide open, but I later saw why that would happen.

We had option routes in 2011 and 2012, Cook would simply run to open space, but the problem was he'd be nowhere near where he was suppose to be. Hasselbeck never knew what this guy was doing out there, so Cook never saw much action.

I do however like Cook for the most part and think we should incorporate him more into the offense. So what if he's a big wimp on the line of scrimmage, set him back 2-3 yards, or out by the numbers. He's 6'5" with great range, he can make plays if we let him.

And now that we're dumping the option routes, he should excel, because we no longer will play guessing games with these young pieces. Cook, Wright, and Locker should improve with a simpler system.

6. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

Why isn't he doing his part to make us a good team?

All I hear is how "if 'douchebag' was on a good team he would be great". At some ****ing point all these potentially great players need to start making us great. Cook is a scrub, always gonna be a scrub.

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

Keyshawn Johnson rarely ever had a good QB throw to him. And he still put up good numbers.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. corymiller

corymiller New Era Connoisseur

So, Cook wants a long term contract to be paid for his TE production.

But if he's tagged, he wants to be classified as a WR.

Off him Lavelle Hawkins money because as a WR, that's all he's worth.

44 catches for 523 yards and he wants a WR tag. Go F yourself cook!!

9. Titans Insider

Titans Insider Titans News

All along the Titans planned to use the franchise tag on tight end Jared Cook.

What they hadn’t planned for was the fight on whether he should be considered a tight end or a receiver. It’s a $4.5 million debate that still has the situation worth watching leading up to today’s 3 p.m. NFL deadline.

If the Titans tag Cook as a tight end, which they’ve long been expected to do so, a battle is coming. I first wrote about it at the NFL Combine back on February 20, and it’s become a hot topic across the NFL ever since.

Cook’s representation believes he should be paid as a receiver, and the NFLPA is willing to take up the fight for him.

What’s at stake? A lot more money — the franchise tag for tight ends in 2013 is $6.066 million. For wide receivers: around $10.537 million.

It’s also a precedent setting case that could impact players like Jimmy Graham of the Saints.

I’ve had a lot of people tell me it’s a crazy argument by Cook, since he was drafted as a tight end and is listed as a tight end. On his official Twitter page, Cook even calls himself a tight end.

The debate, however, centers on how the Titans use him.

And, according to Pro Football Focus, of the 485 snaps Cook played last season he lined up in the slot on 276 (56 percent). He was also lined up wide on other plays, which would increase his percentage as a receiver.

Article 9, Section 2 of the NFL’s Collective Bargaining Agreement states “that the tender will apply to the position in which the player participated in the most plays.”

So if the Titans tag him as a tight end, the matter would eventually wind up in front of an arbitrator, and there would be plenty of debate.

Depending on what is decided, the Titans could be forced to pay him $10.537 million, or just let him walk away as an unrestricted free agent.

I’ve thought all along the Titans would tag Cook. Without a long-term deal, it just doesn’t make any sense to let a good player simply walk away.

At this point, I also realize his situation could turn into an even bigger mess in the near future.

Is it a risk – or a headache — the Titans are willing to take on?

Share on Facebook

Posted In: League News, Team News

Source: Titans Insider

10. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Here's the million dollar question; what if we franchise him as a TE today, but in 4 weeks with the help of the NAACP (I mean NFLPA) his agents claims come to fruition? Then what? Can we decline to franchise him, and move on with no penalty?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar