Jake Locker on NFL Network

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by chamgel2, Feb 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Locker has many good qualities but no way he is worth the 8th pick.

His stats just suck and against Nebraska in his last game he was 5-16.

You just need more than that to take a guy that high. Second rd? Sure take a chance what the hell but no way is he worth an 8th.

It's not just his career 55% comp rate his yards per attempt are also lame.

I mentioned Mark Brunell in a positive light but Rick Mirer also comes to mind and he was a big bust.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I agree, I would be all about taking him in the second because he certainly has potential , but he also has way to many questions to justify taking him at 8 overall.

3. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

No way !!! I would have no problem drafting locker..I think he has a very good upside. However, with us drafting as high as we are we have to go with BEST player available..imo.

4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If his mechanics can be fixed, he should be worth a second-rounder. I'm impressed the guy doesn't gloss over the issue and seems to have the right attitude about working though it.

No way I go with him with #8.

5. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

Why are so many people scared to use this #8 pick on a quarterback? The Titans aren't winning anything until the team gets a real QB. If your only chance to get the best one in this draft is at #8, then you use the #8 pick on a quarterback, even if it's a bit of a reach. Passing on a QB is often a bigger mistake than picking a QB who turns out to be a bust.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. chamgel2

chamgel2 Starter

Exactly my thoughts, they mentioned the Dolphins earlier when they passed on Matt Ryan for the franchise left tackle Jake Long. The Falcons took Ryan, and the franchises are going in two different directions. If there is a QB there at 8, who the team believes is a franchise QB, then we do not pass. Now, I agree with the idea of you don't take a QB just to take a QB at 8. If they have similar grades on the top 4 as they do Ponder, Kaepernick, Dalton, then you can wait to round 2 and take one then. But if they truely believe Newton, Gabbert, Mallett, or Locker is that franchise QB, then you cannot wait past 8 to take that guy.

7. NYCTitanfan84

NYCTitanfan84 Special Teams Standout

Because a #8 pick..should go to a player thats rated in the top 10 imo. Guys who you know (for the most part) that they can step in an make an immediate impact. Just because we need a QB doesn't mean we should reach for one. Why get a 2nd round guy with the #8 pick? To me thats a bigger mistake than not drafting one. And that goes for any position player for me. If we're in dire need of a DT, would you draft a 2nd-3rd round talent at #8? Just because you need one?

He just isn't a top 10 pick...I honestly dont think any of these QBs are. And I truly hope the Titans dont draft a QB at 8

8. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

I agree with most of the comments sayin No to Locker at #8, yes to Locker in the 2nd.

I think the only team that would draft him in the first are:
    Redskins #10
    Vikings #12
    Seattle #25

9. TorontoTitanFan

TorontoTitanFan Pro Bowler

I agree that you want to take best player available whenever possible. You want to take a guy you rate in the top 10 if you have a top 10 pick.

However, those rules go out the window if you don't have a franchise quarterback on your roster. At that point, getting a quarterback becomes the #1 priority and nothing else matters. It's even more important this year, since the CBA means there is no way to trade for a veteran QB or sign a free agent QB.

10. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

If the Titans think a franchise QB is there at #8, then they should take him at #8. But I don't see any QBs worthy of the pick right now. So why not get that difference-maker on defense then go with one of the QBs in the second assuming most end up grading out the same?

Of course, I'm not a scout and just going on personal opinion based on what little I do know and have read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar