Jags @ Titans Postgame Thread

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

:yes: Fisher? Bulluck? KVB?

I believe the leaders should have recognized how important it was for us to play "over the top" like we did in the Colts game.

2. Hoffa

Hoffa Freak you you freakin' freak

That comes down to Fisher, doesn't it? A lot of what he does is delegated to all the assistant coaches, so shouldn't Fisher be responsible for the degree of effort the team puts out?

The NFL season is a long one, a flat game can be expected, but shouldn't be allowed to become a pattern.

3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Gotta agree with TJ, Childress, RT & Carpy. This was a tough loss against a good team. We failed on every level - got out-coached, lost almost every special teams battle, lost in the trenches on D, lost in the trenches on O, RBs were not there, QB made several mistakes... everyone.

Ask yourself this - if the Colts had 10 net yards rushing out of their RBs, and Peyton was sacked 4 times, running from pressure all day... would you expect them to win? Not really. Young looks like a 2nd year QB, as we should expect. Even the best QBs make errant throws every game. Some people here seem to have become the anti-homers... so scared of sounding like a homer that they can't accept anything less than a perfect game. A 2nd year QB must look like a HOFer before they can see his performances objectively - both good throws and bad. Young is struggling, but has also shown some progress in key areas. He's going to take another year or 2 (like Big Ben did) before he settles in.

On another topic - didn't impact the game at all, but everyone go look at Gage's TD catch again... and don't get distracted by the catch. One of the most obvious helmet to helmet hits I've seen in a long time. The week after the league sent warnings to teams with examples of hits that will get you ejected. And these refs absolutely missed it. The inconsistency the past 2 years is driving me batty.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

The biggest difference between this game & the other 8 we've played was the inability of our defense to dominate enough to mask our offensive flaws.

We have a great D when our starters are healthy. We haven't been in this position long enough to have built up any depth behind our starting group. Yesterday it showed.

Haynesworth cause so many problems for Offenses that he frees up the players around him to shine.

Odom & KVB were still good yesterday,Tony Brown was solid but his penalties negated his good play. Without the fresh legs of LaBoy we also suffered.

Starks was all effort but he was pushed around & steered wherever the Jags wanted him to go.

Although there are plenty who love to pick on Harper as a weak link he showed how well he's been playing when he was injured & had to be replaced by Hill. Hill was a huge drop off in performance from Harper.

Does this mean that our D is useless without Haynesworth? No the Jags are one of the best running teams in the league. We lost effectiveness in our front four but credit Schwartz with shifting around Bulluck,Thornton & Griffin at the line & trying to keep us aggressive.

We know what we have in Young & what he showed in the no huddle against a very good D suggests that our normal offensive style is too conservative to get the best out of him.

When White went out Henry was in on every down his blocking was vastly improved & I saw that as a real positive. I would have liked to have seen more short passes to him because he looks dangerous after the catch.

5. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

Every week I'm amazed we don't run more screen passes to our RBs or even those bubble screens to the WRs that we ran a heap of in week 1.

They have been our most successful passing plays all year and we hardly run them.

As an aside (and I haven't seen anyone mention this), the throw from Vince on his TD pass to Gage was 100% accurate. It was a perfectly thrown ball, and a very good catch.

6. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Those of you who are only looking at Young here need to realize few QBs in this league are going to be effective on third-and-long. Yesterday, on 15 third down attempts, nine of them were for more than five yards. Seven of those needed eight or more yards for a first down.

Of those 15 attempts, only four resulted in a first down or score. His two INTs came from third downs as well.

3-5: complete for 5
    3-17: scramble for 13
    3-6: incomplete
    3-8: incomplete
    3-2: incomplete
    3-3: complete for 4
    3-10: complete for 17
    3-10: scramble for 9
    3-4: interception
    3-13: scramble for 4
    3-4: incomplete
    3-9: TD pass
    3-16: incomplete
    3-4: sacked
    3-3: interception

Though there were some makable third down opportunities that Young didn't convert, the Titans have to put him in more situations to succeed.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I guess the question has to be why were we in 3rd and long to begin with?
    Keep in mind Young threw 41 passes Sunday. Our RBs ran the ball 11 times.
    The bottom line is if you want to stop the Titan's offense you stack the LOS, take away the running game and make VY beat you with his arm. If VY can't beat the defense in those situations we have a problem. Maybe VY isn't entirely at fault but we still have a problem. It is true few QBs are as effective on 3rd and long but VY's ineffectiveness on 1st and 2nd down is part of the reason for that as well.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Right - I'm not saying we act like he didn't underthrow Roydell on his 1st INT and like he didn't miss some open receivers, but we have to look objectively. He also threw a laser to Jones early in the game. The 1st down to Roydell in the redzone late in the game while he was scrambling to his right was also a perfect pass, and tough to make across his body a bit. It's those throws that I don't remember seeing last year - not with the strength and accuracy he is showing now.

15 3rd downs and 15 passes? Please tell me that's not right.

9. TitanJeff

When the Titans went to Jacksonville, they spread the offense and were successful running from that formation. Yesterday, the Titans go back to the standard formation and we saw the running game keep the Titans in 2nd and 3rd-and-long situations most of the game.

Let's look at the run game from the start to the point it was 21-3 on first and second down:

1-10: White for 4
    2-6: White for 1
    1-10: Young for 5
    1-10: White for 2
    2-8: White for -4
    2-1: White for -1
    1-10: White for 6
    2-4: Henry for 0

So the reason the Titans were in third and long so often is because White and Henry were pounded before they could get to the LOS. Then, once the score was 21-3, the Titans abandoned the run totally on the most part.

Before going into the two-minute formation before the end of the first half, Chow called a pass play on first down only once. Young hit Hartsock for nine yards.

At what point do we start to question Fisher/Chow for not looking to get a little closer to 50/50 with the run/pass ratio on first down? Fisher seems intent on pounding the rock on first down regardless of how poorly the results are and Young isn't good enough yet to overcome these third-and-long situations.

10. TitanJeff

I'm just saying we were in third down 15 times yesterday.

Young passed the ball on 10. Four were scrambles. One a sack.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar