Jacob Bell to decline his tender

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Puck, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

BELL (along w/ roos and stewert) are the future of our line..and we should def keep him...I MEAN WE HV ALL THAT CAP ROOM AN BARELY SIGNED NYONE...I THINK WE SHOULD AT LEAST BE ABLE TO KEEP HIM....i think these 3 can be great...i think bell did really well last yr and is DEFINISTLY w/o question worth keeping.

actaully IMO the way those 3 played they all hv potential to be pro-bowlers....espeically roos though..he i think can be a star.....

if nyone remembers that game gainst buffalo (the TD vince young scramble) roos pancaked former probowl DT larry tripplet ...tottally laid him out..than steamrolled their only other probowl player MLB london-flethcer...took out their 2 best defnsive players in one play

2. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Man- no comments about RosenTurd? Everybody's getting soft around here.

3. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Actually Rosenhaus' comments on this have been pretty reasonable. He's not signing his tender because he wants a longterm contract and I think the Titans are very much in line with that thinking, otherwise he wouldn't have been tagged worth a 1st. The only question is, can they agree on the $$$...

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

1st rd tag..

Notice that amano had a 2nd rd pick hung on him. The price tag of a first rd pick is the obvious reason bell didn't get any offers. Only about 5 RFA will be signed away from their teams on average per year.

Bell's choices:

1) Sign the tender and make $1.85M in salary.

2) Pursue a good but reasonable long term deal that might be worth about $3M a year.

3) Don't sign anything and hold out for $0..

The RFA signing period is over so he can't hook up with another team. We sure don't want him to become an UFA next year so lock him up for a while.

Those who think bell is expendable must not realize that mawae is 36 and olson almost 32. We sure in the hell don't need to be losing a quality 26 year old guy.

I believe that amano can maybe start ahead of olson some day. Amano played well when called on to fill in at guard. Amano is just 24. We absolutely must keep bell and amano and if someone is out the door it would be olson.. We are as solid on the interior of our o-line as we ever have since bruce retired. We have three better than average starters and a quality backup. Let's keep it that way.

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

He's not so good that you just have to keep him. We've decided to not keep better players. He won't be replacing Mawae. If Amano can replace Olson, then you have one OG to replace, and Bell is replacable just as Olsen is. I don't want to lose him, but he's replacable and his spot is upgradable.

6. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Upgradable with whom?

Bobo?

We have needs at WR, RB, DE and maybe safety. Now you want to draft an o-guard? We must have 6-7 day one picks!

Bell wouldn't replace mawae but amano might in a year or two so who is the young guard who replaces olson and bell as starters and amano as backup inside? We have 2 fairly young guys we have developed who certainly are not expensive to keep so why wouldn't we keep them?

The only way i see we could upgrade bell would be to draft a stud roos type tackle and move stewart inside. That still leaves us with 2 old guys who still will have to be replaced in a year or 2..

7. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Is this hard?

Will shields just announced his retirement from football. Shields is 8 months younger than kevin mawae. Mawae is 36 and will be 36 years and 9 months old when this next season starts. Is this a concern to anyone? Is this the time to start losing our younger starting interior lineman?

8. Based on his contract, Mawae was signed with the idea that he's only be around for 2 years for sure. He could still be here for a year or 2 after that, but they could replace him. If he goes after this year, Amano could replace him.

Plus, if you look at previous Titans centers, they managed to get pretty good production from fairly minimal investments. No one as good as Mawae, but still solid guys...

9. Bobo

Bobo Guest

Yeah we can draft a gaurd, and a center, and they both don't have to be this year, but they could be. Bell was a 5th rounder. Olsen was a 5th. Runyan was a 4th. Amano was a 7th. Even a spot like LT that usually requires a mid to high 1st round pick, was filled nicely by Roos in the 2nd. I don't think it'll absolutely require a 1st day pick to find an equal or possably better replacement for Bell.

I thought before this news about Bell that we could draft an interior lineman, maybe 2. If there's value, they'll look to the future even if it's not the immediate future of this year. But as I've already said, I'd try to keep Bell....but if he gets unreasonable....sayonara.

10. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

A 6'7 guard is not the recipe for success.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar