It's Time for the Titans to Get Things Settled With McNair the Right Way

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by, Jun 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

    Gut Pro Bowler

    Reese brought in the free agents for 2 reasons.

    First, they are an improvement over what we had. And if you have to cut backups to get better be it.

    Secondly, with such a young team, he wants those vets to teach the young guys how to play and go about their business. Role models if you will.

    But you also have to evaluate positions. QB is arguably the most important position on the field...on offense or defense. As has been stated many times, MLB is not that important. Sure you need a guy who can tackle and take on blocks, but he's on the field only half the time and doesn't have major coverage responsibilities. So the drop off between a McNair and Volek is very different between a Sirmon and Tulloch...for example.

    I haven't examined the roster carefully cap wise in a few weeks, but I think Sirmon would be the only potential starter I'd cut and that's ONLY because I have a decent replacement and neither will play half then time. So I'd make the cuts and keep McNair unless Baltimore really ante'd up. And if they did, I'd have to decide if McNair was worth perhaps Collins and Ty Law...not whether or not he was worth the cuts. Without a decent starting QB, we won't win this year. Without a decent 5th CB, no one will notice unless we lose 2 CB's and even then only when we have to face 3 WR's...again about 50% playing time IF we lost 2 CB's above him.

    I hope that illustrates my point...but I think you're on board with wanting to keep McNair.

    As far as Reese and Cook meeting?

    It's a start....but more likely the end and just a PR move. Cook has no reason to accept a lower deal from us when he knows Reese will trade or release McNair.

    When they locked McNair out of BP I suspected that marked the beginning of the end of McNair with the Titans. A lot of times, the writings on the wall. We don't want it to be, but it's there.

    If we're trying to figure out what will happen as opposed to what we think SHOULD happen, you can put money down that McNair won't be with this team when the season starts. Knowing Reese's track record with dumping talent due to cap concerns, Baltimore will wait him out and he'll show them his cards as he has done from day 1. If I were Baltimore, I'd call Reese's bluff (about delaying his release til July) and tell Reese the trade offer is only good til June13. Reese would have to either agree to whatever terms or release McNair or keep him.

    From Reese's background, he's gonna get rid of McNair one way or the other and since he'd rather have something instead of nothing, he'll trade Steve for a discounted draft pick.

    And you're right, it'll happen probably in the next week...possibly 2.

    This is...unfortunately...what I think WILL happen! Then we can haggle over Volek as starter, volek as starter with same cuts, volek as starter with no cuts, volek as starter with cuts but sign a big name free agent, ect.

  2. Broken Record

    Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

    Has there been any indication that Baltimore's offer of a 5th is still on the table?
  3. fltitan

    fltitan Guest

    What a great and insightful discussion this is and the best part is everyone has shown respect to others regardless of the differences of opinon(very unlike the Ravens forums). The only thing Ill comment on at this point is why wait until as late as possible to release him. First I believe the risk of injury hurts McNair much more than the Titans, if he shows up for workouts at all hes not going to do anything that might cause him even a minor injury. Secondly the later he gets to the Ravens the harder it will be for him to start the season at qb for them. The oc for the Ravens has said it would be hard for a qb to start the season if he didnt get there until July. So releasing him late gives us two advantages Billick will want him there asap his jobs on the line this year so we may get a better offer and if not Boller may start the season and lose some games or if he wins he it may be hard for Steve to just be handed the job. They believe Steve is the missing piece to get them back to the SB and dont want to get of to a bad start to their season. Call their bluff see if anyone eles is interested, see if they still want to pay him 11m if he isnt ready for the 1st few games or if the offer drops, worst case release him and miss an additional 5th round pick I think its worth the gamble.
  4. Soxcat

    Soxcat Starter

    I agree with Gut in that the probability of Mac getting hurt is so low that it makes no sense to hurry up and make a decision. The Titans hold the cards. Reese will make it look like Mac could be a Titan as long as he can and in reality the Titans could keep Mac if it came down to that. Reese wants some value for that postion in trade and he is going to hold out as long as possible. The lockout thing was based partly on the injury risk but there are a bunch of other factors that enter into it as well and they are all still on the table.
    IMO the Titans never really wanted to work things out with Mac unless he was willing to work for much less than his current contract. They made that clear and that is still their postion. I'm sure if they had to do this thing over again they could have shopped Mac around when team like the Dolphins and New Orleans had yet to sign their QBs and possibly gotten a decent deal done before the draft. IMO they were stupid not to just take the deal with the Ravens on draft day. But now, with the possibility of getting nothing for Mac you can bet Reese will squeeze everything he can out of this situation to save face even if it means not letting the Ravens get McNair until training camp starts. It wouldn't surprise me if Reese cut some vets to make room for the rookie pay and hold on to Mac right until Sep 1.
  5. TitanJeff

    TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

    First, Reese didn't get anything for Kearse and now possibly McNair? Goot lawd!
  6. TitanJeff

    TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

    According to Reese, it was a joke. He never said what the deal was. It was leaked out as a fifth. I don't think anyone with the Titans ever confirmed.

    If I am the Ratbirds and really want McNair before their next camp, why not be willing to give up a pick in the 110 - 125 range? McNair isn't worth the 115th best player in next season's draft? Even if Reese asks for more if McNair meets certain numbers, you are talking about a late third which is the 85-95 range.

    If I were McNair, I would be ticked the Ravens are not willing to give up the 90th pick to get him in camp.
  7. fltitan

    fltitan Guest

    Jeff I couldnt agree more.
  8. Drew Rosenhaus could make the trade happen. Hell, he convinced the Chiefs to give up a 5th for Carlos Hall.

    Bus Cook needs to facilitate it for the sake of his client...
  9. Broken Record

    Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

    That makes sense. The fact that Ozzie hasn't offered anything significant says to me that he thinks McNair will be his for free shortly.
  10. Hellblitzer

    Hellblitzer Guest

    actually things could get alot worse....

    I think the Titans have to give Mcnair a physical before they allow him back into the facility.... what if the Titans Dr's fail him? What if ???

    This thing could get alot uglier actually.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to

    Established in 2000, is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

    For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy without ads.

    Hit the Tip Jar